Type 1 Sick day rules?

muzza.kazi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I have been sick for last two days, just want to know ppl thoughts on the sick day rules?
Are we allowed paracetamol?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is some information with sick day rules for people with type 1 - http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1_Sickdays_LDC_JAN2015.pdf

I don't understand you mean by asking for people's thoughts on the sick day rules? Are you having some concerns in applying them? They are pretty sensible advice for how to manage blood sugar and adjust insulin dosages when ill. The key advice in the sick day rules is test lots.

Yes, diabetes doesn't contraindicate paracetamol. Unless you are using a dexcom, because it will really screw up the readings - it doesn't actually do anything to your blood sugar though.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about others and I may be wrong in my thinking but when I am not feeling well rules go out the window

I have been fighting a summer cold the last week or so and have been taking paracetamol, Nurofen and Lemsips. TBH they have not affected my BS to much I think it's more a case of feeling run down a bit that raised them a little higher than my norm. I dare say others will have there own way of doing things. I now feel better than I did so it worked for me. I hope you find what works for you.

I apologise to any Type 1's or Type 2's who are insulin dependant if my reply seems a bit frivolous as I know your needs are allot different and you have to manage your dosages as well.

Last edited:

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel shocking at the moment really thick head watery eyes ear ache (gosh moaning much!) I think I have hey fever - I had it bad a few years ago but now my muscles and joints are all aching too which I read can happen. I have no energy and my insulin sensitivity seems to be vanishing. :(