Sick

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been ill (pain vomiting) + and unable to eat for 2 days. Small fluids now ok, but i violently threw up a tablet. Doing dry retching too.

I know i'm supposed to continue insulin.......but I'm eating zero.

Blood sugar:
Friday - 8.0
Saturday 9.4
Sunday (just now) 10.7 - all fairly good for me.

I last had insulin Friday morning. Still cant eat.

Should i take a small amount??? Scared of hypo obviously.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? Grateful for all opinions.

Thanks, Sean

S

Shar67

Sean we are only a support group not the medical profession, you don't need to take insulin just yet, hyper is above 12. Do you know what has made you ill

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Shar,

I have CP - stuff like this is normal. It wasnt a beginners question. I know its a support group but value the responses, expertise, experience and knowledge that i dont get in the medical profession.

More interesting you say dont take insulin. You think so? go on bs alone?
52 hours since i had some insulin.

Problem remains if i take at e.g 15 with no food will likely drop like a stone.

sean

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't take any insulin, worried about hypo's but ketones too.
Monday the 18th bs = 9.1 (going down) I called the doc out and got referred to hosp. as I was showing for ketones in urine.

On admission I had a blood sug = 8.6 ketones present but not a worry. I forget - maybe 0.6?
No insulin, tho i think a tiny amount was prescribed. Put on saline drip for hydration.

By lunch Tuesday felt a lot better, great actually, bs=6.9 felt so well!! Often feel hypo at this level.
Ketones 1.9 = +++ i think. Doc prescribed small 4 units insulin with sips orange juice, for concern with ketones. Was feeling much better + could eat, so adjusted to 6.
So took small (6 units 70/30 mix, usually about 16) with light food. Felt the best for about a year, truly well! Went home and lived happily ever after, tho don't feel as well now!

So I didnt take insulin for 4 days and my BS was stable / going down.
The DN gave me a pamphlet with the advice when BS>11 etc. and try as I might......I dont think there is one with showing for ketones + BS<12. Anyways we agreed it was as per Dr. - small insulin with juice to prevent hypo. Of course even this is only applicable when I can hold the juice down. But basically the ketones were treated as a problem regardless of bs in my case.

I asked anyone in sight if they thought my bs was going down because of destruction of pancreas and hence all cells, why is it expected to go up if i'm ill and not eating anything etc.

S

Shar67

BS doesn't go down with destruction of cells it goes up as there isn't enough insulin dealing with BS, your liver may dump insulin to try to counter act hence hypo.
Orange juice isn't the best think to drink either if you are unable to eat, and taking insulin if your BS is below 7 above 4 isn't going to help either.
Have you been prescribed anti sickness tablets, if not you need to ask GP for some, do you know what you ate before you were sick

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Shar

You wrote this ", your liver may dump insulin to try to counter act hence hypo." - what is this process?
I took insulin at 6.9 - are you saying the Dr was wrong?

Cheers, Sean

S

Shar67

Are you doing basal/bolus, a long acting insulin and a short acting insulin usually taken just before you eat

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Shar

You wrote this ", your liver may dump insulin to try to counter act hence hypo." - what is this process?
I took insulin at 6.9 - are you saying the Dr was wrong?

Cheers, Sean

70/30 - i stated it in previous post. What about the above two Questions Shar?
What do you think with bs going down during illness with no insulin / no food??
Do you get this?
Do you think it is peculiar to type 3c?
What do you think the (lack of?) process might be?

Cheers, Sean

S

Shar67

I only bolus when I eat and basal before bed, basal can change to avoid afternoon hypo.
I would only take bolus itself if I'm over 12, ideal is to keep BG between 5 and 8, I found that with correct basal at night I keep to these, allow the diet I'm on just now has caused afternoon BG to be nearer 8 which for me is high.
The big thing with type 3c is some hypo/hypers have no reason, eg you measure BG before meal and its 6.9 say you have 50g of carb and use 5units of insulin, 2 hours later BG is 4 or 12, I tend to go high during exercise which is a bit strange.

Reactions: 2 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The liver dumps glucose not insulin was my understanding.