Side effects of Janumet

irishlass37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed 2011, been only on Metaformin since, but its been having very unpleasant side effects ( think IBS type), so GP changed me 3 weeks ago to Janumet. I am itchy all over since, my head is sore from scratching, my skin feels like it is crawling. Reading the advice sheet it is a rare side effect, can anyone put my mind at rest? Does the itching stop? Can I take anything to combat it? Its driving me crazy and I am exhausted from it now

Thanks

IL

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Janumet still contains metformin and also sitagliptin.
If you are ha ing the side effects, you will have to speak to your GP.

Sitagliptin is designed to prevent spikes,to stop you going too high, which brings your blood glucose levels down.

It could be either or both. Or even none of them, but you're itching for some reason.
It could even your bloods fluctuating.
But I would definitely recommend speaking to your medical team.

irishlass37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Spoke to GP today, she changed my meds back to the Metaformin, said its a combination of the Janumet, Aspirin and the Statin they recently put me on, so its back to just the Metaformin on its own just for now ...Thanks for replying

bishboy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Spoke to GP today, she changed my meds back to the Metaformin, said its a combination of the Janumet, Aspirin and the Statin they recently put me on, so its back to just the Metaformin on its own just for now ...Thanks for replying
Recently changed over to Janumet (2 daily) from metaformin ( x 3 daily) . Have had itchy head , scalp , discomfort on my back , under arm and into chest wall. Most prominent when sitting or worse at night. Awaiting decision from local hospital Diabetes Centre as to future. My blood sugar readings are in the 10's to 12 's from overnight. Too high for my liking. !

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Recently changed over to Janumet (2 daily) from metaformin ( x 3 daily) . Have had itchy head , scalp , discomfort on my back , under arm and into chest wall. Most prominent when sitting or worse at night. Awaiting decision from local hospital Diabetes Centre as to future. My blood sugar readings are in the 10's to 12 's from overnight. Too high for my liking. !

I have the same itchiness but mine is deep muscle itch.
I had mine before sitagliptin or januvia (trade name).

I was put on piriton to relieve this and it works!