Silly depression

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I came off metformin, I tablet per day, after last hbaic of 5.7. This is 3 years after being diagnosed. I have noticed my own tests have increased slightly with the fasting test on wakening now approximately 6.00 to 6.5. Later in day not too bad but always over what I used to be. Does this mean indeed the metformin? I really hope not ! Or does it mean I need to manage my diet better?

M

Member496333

Seems broadly in line with my experience when I quit Metformin. I doubled-down on keto and eventually completely kicked dawn phenomenon into the weeds. I don’t need to be so strict these days but I maintain anyway because I much prefer the food and it ensures that my diabetes monster stays locked in the dungeon permanently. As ever, your mileage may vary, but it’s not unexpected to see a small glucose bump when quitting Metformin, particularly fasting.

Reactions: jjraak and ert

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Barrowbakers has anything other than the metformin changed? When did you stop the metformin? Could it just be your body adjusting?

You might be able to drop the numbers further by tweaking what you eat. Perhaps post a few typical meals here for people to make suggestions.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came off metformin, I tablet per day, after last hbaic of 5.7. This is 3 years after being diagnosed. I have noticed my own tests have increased slightly with the fasting test on wakening now approximately 6.00 to 6.5. Later in day not too bad but always over what I used to be. Does this mean indeed the metformin? I really hope not ! Or does it mean I need to manage my diet better?

i'm in agreement with @Jim Lahey when i have run out of met :rolleyes: or forgotten to take it and think i don't really need it, my numbers began rising.

silly of me really, because i had decided early on to carry on taking the met, as it has other benefits

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin

But i do get others want a med free life.
so in that case i'd take the advice to redouble efforts re diet.

good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin interferes with the ability of the liver to release glucose, so an increase in levels first thing in the morning might simply indicate that you are getting back to normal, whatever your normal is.
I could not live with Metformin, so just stopped taking it, and stuck with eating low carb. I did not really expect to be in the normal range in a few months but that proved to be the case. If I had still been in the diabetic range I would have eaten fewer carbs rather than go back to taking the tablets, but as it turned out, all was well. My after meal levels are under 7mmol/l most days - if you are not seeing spikes that is the main worry dealt with.

Reactions: ianf0ster