Skiing with Type 1

alri

Hi,my son is nearly 11 and has been on an insulin pump for the last 5 years,I am interested in taking him skiing as he is very active and his diabetes is well controlled,but am I being realistic or is he still too young any advice insights ect would be greatly appreciated.Am thinking of somewhere in Austria? :)

sugar2

HI,

I am T1, and have been skiing a few times...although I am much older than 11, and wasn't on a pump at the time.

Is it possible? Yes! Please don't stop him doing fun things becasue he is diabetic. I imagine, that aged 11, you would be with him at all times? He will need to reduce his basal rate etc, and you and he will need to fill you ski jackets up with glucose tablets and facst acting carbs etc.

I wouldn't let him go off on his own...not that you would obviously, but ski school may be difficult..unless you went with him, or the ski school was informed abouthis diabetes in advance, and you could give them a quick pep talk about what to look out re hypos.

I did have a few hypos whilst sking, but as I have goood warnings, I just ate some carbs and got on with it.

I hope that you decide to go, and have a fabulous time! We liked Cervinia on teh Italian Swiss border..lots of wide, easy runs to suit my appalling skiing skills!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Do a search on this site about skiing as many people have good advice about stopping insulin freezing and also keeping your glucose meter somewhere it wont be affected by the cold. Take a couple of different brands of meters with you in case one performs better in the cold than the other.

My non-diabetic son fainted last year after a week of skiing. He is going again this year and I've given him strict intructions to take better care of himself. He also did some damage to the ligaments around his knee which I believe is a common ailment on the slopes. His knee was the size of a football for a good week. He did it on the last day so he was pleased it didn't ruin his trip.

I think if your son can get plenty of sleep and eat really, really well it would be spectacular.