Skin tac

Hazza

Maybe a silly question but here goes.
We are going on holiday in February and it will be really hot, Goa, :D ,so will we need to change Lily's insulin regimen or will it be OK as it is? ie basals and I:C ratios. We have heard that in hot weather that she won't need as much. She is only on a small basal rate at the moment.
Also while I'm asking, do any of you use skin tac to help the infusion sets stick? The reason I ask is because she will be in and out of the sea or swimming pool all day long and we wouldn't like one to come off and be unnoticed for a while.
Thanks

Harry

iHs

If Lilly is using the Rapid D Link set then a piece of Transpore or Mefix tape should stop the set from coming out.

With regards to hot weather causing hypos, if you have been to Goa before then I would be guided by your previous vist as to how Lilly will be this time. You'll just have to play it by ear, test bg levels a lot and turn the basal down if you find she goes hypo often.

Hazza

Thanks for the repli iHs. Lily has been before but not since she was diagnosed so not sure what she will be like. We asked our diabetes nurse if we should just use the pens but she thinks that we will be OK as we do tend to test quite often. I know what you mean about being on the plane. We will have to use the meter and then bolus with the pump because the bluetoothe has to be switched off and it is an 11 hour flight. Time difference is also a factor as they are five and a half hours in front of us. The nurse says just to change the time on the meter and the pump on the morning after we arrive and they should be in tune with each other again.
One thing is for sure, ITS GONNA BE FUN :D

Harry

iHs

Just had a thought - if the temperature is really very very hot, you might have to put the pump in one of those Frio bags to keep it cool.

Maybe someone who uses the Combo and flies a lot will hopefully post.

Hazza

Just before we left for school this morning Lily said her cannula was peeling off so I had a look and sure enough it was starting to peel around the edges so I taped it up with some micropour tape and told her to keep an eye on it.
Her mum had only changed it yesterday but then she had a bath before bed time. Maybe this had loosened it. Anyway I have been looking for Skin Tac on the net and it is quite difficult to get hold of unless from the main importer (also found a cross dressing site that sells it... :shock: ) it costs £17 inc. vat and then £3 delivery so not cheap for 50 wipes. So I have been researching alternatives and come up with "tincture of benzoin" , it is a liquid and when applied with a cotton but or similar it dries and leaves a sticky film on the skin. It has been used for years but is now out of favour for more modern sticky dressings (which don't always stick :D ). I have ordered some from my local chemist £17 but it comes in 500ml bottles which should last for about 100 years :wink: . It should be in by 5 oclock today and I'll let you know how it works when we do Lilys next change on Saturday. Also Friars Balsam has benzoin in it and will do the same job but probably in smaller bottles and cheaper if you can get hold of it, about £2.
Just thought that I would share with you.

Harry

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Harry, I've just been reading my insulin pumping book and came across this info so thought I'd share it with you. Obviously I have no idea if it works or not but it's something you can look into.

Quote:

"To keep insertion sets tightly attached with perspiration, use Mastisol/Detachol, Skin Tac H, Applicare's Compound Benzoin Swabstick, Drysol, or an ordorless antiperspirant (not a deoderant) spray. For excessive perspiration, put IV Prep down and while it is wet, stick the set over it. If this doesn't work, try using a fragrance-free antiperspirant spray. Use IV Prep on the skin first and while it is still wet, spray the antiperspirant on and put the set through. IV Prep may get "*****" and lose it adhesion when it gets wet. Another remedy for sweating and swimming to keep your infusion set in place is Mastisol. Try using it to adhere the set to the skin. For removal, Mastisol can be cleaned from the skin with a cleaner called Detachol."

iHs

Skin Tac is available in the UK from MG Healthcare. My friend uses 'It Stays' which is also available from MG. You can get free samples from their website :)

Transpore tape is good for Rapid D's in place

Reactions: 2 people

Hazza

Thanks for the info Sophie, we have some benzoin on order and it should be here around 5ish.
iHs, I have micropor tape but it doesn't stick well at all. Is transpor tape stickier?
Lily just got home from school and the tape was all tangled around her tube so have stuck some more on. The set seems to be working fine as her BG at lunchtime was 3.9.
I will let you know if the benzoin is any good or not later.

Harry

iHs

Transpore tape is like very strong clear sellotape with perforations going through it to allow the skin to breathe. You can get it in most chemists so ask to see it first. Transpore is sometimes used to keep dressings in place in hospitals.

I don't have that much trouble with sets staying in but I think this is due to the fact that I quickly wipe the site area with an alcohol swab (eBay :lol: ) which ensures that the area is free from any moisture cream or grease residue. I know that this is not recommended by dsns or pump reps as they say that it dries out the skin (which is does) but by wiping the area with a swab and then saving it to wipe any adhesive residue away from the set you take out, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone :wink:

I 'set' on one side of my body for about 4 weeks then change over to the other side. The side that I'm not using, I rub plenty of Vit E, Bio OIl or Cocoa Butter lotion.

Hazza

Well we changed Lilys infusion set today and I have to say that this benzoin stuff is fantastic. We just used a cotton bud soaked in the stuff and made a circle with it, waited for it to dry a bit (you can feel it go tacky) and then put the set in. It has now been in for a while and is solid as a rock.

iHs

Well done then Harry :eek: Hope it comes off all ok though :)

Internet forums are very good at letting other people know about stuff so cheers !!

Slinger

i had a problem a in summer 2009 when really hot and sweating (yuk :? ), when changing cannula it wouldnt stick because of sweat even though i just had a shower. i just wiped the area (different area) where the cannula was going to go with some surgical spirit on some cotton wool. wiped dry and stuck no problem. just might be worth trying that, would work out cheaper