slighlty confused - as per usual!

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Morning all,
I've been having lots of bother recently with trying to get control of by bs levels. Have been to see the DSN and even took my parents (mothers are wonderful!!!) Last year around the time of turning the big 3 0 I decided i didn't want loose control and really wanted to tighten it up, so I went along to the clinic and followed all their advice. NO help stil all over the place. This has been going on for the past year now, My hubby and I want to start a family but I wasn't prepared to do this without being in total control of by bs levels I wanted the best chance I could get!! So a year on and 4 insulins later....................... they have decided that if my HBA1C stays around 8 this would be ok for me to go ahead and try to get pregnant!! I am slightly (ok read really) worried that this might not be the best advice, but my HBA levels have always sat around this level in 19 years so was wondering if this really would be ok??? I am desperate to start a family but not if I raising the risks of abnormalities etc with these "high" readings.
xxxxxxxxx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The most important thing you must do is to get your blood glucose levels as close to normal levels as possible ideally for around three months before you become pregnant. Even more important is to maintain them at that level for at least the critical first three months of pregnancy. That is when the baby is developing rapidly and the time during which congenital malformations can occur if glucose levels are high.

A HbA1c in the 8 % range doesn't seem to indicate that your control is good. The levels may be 'normal' for you but they are certainly not in what is considered a normal level !

I would suggest that you discuss this with a Consultant who is an expert in these matters, not just a DSN however well intentioned.

It certainly doesn't sound like good advice to me.......... :?

Ken.

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Me either Ken!
That was the advice passed on from the consultant through my DSN to me last week but I go to see him at the end of the month so will get the full story from him then!! I'm also going to a Pre conception clinic where the doctor is a specialst in dealing with High Risk pregnancies so will also get her advice then too!! I've tried everything that the DSN has told me to do so far and it's not getting any better :cry: . She chcked ma carb counting and ratio's all good!! so back to the drawing board again me thinks! :? This sucks! :( :(
A
xx