Slow dropoff from spikes

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi gang

Currently after meals my BG spikes up (as expected) but then doesn't drop down for 4-5 hours. Previously when testing I would see a return to baseline after 2 hours or so. Obviously not ideal as then when I have dinner I'm starting from an elevated position. See attached for what I mean - ate today at 1pm and am still pretty high at 5.30pm

1000009157.jpg

For context I'm eating low(er) carb, probably about 30-40g per day.

I'm picking up management again after 5 years of not controlling my T2 so perhaps I'm expecting too much too soon, but is there any reason to be concerned about this? Or should I just continue riding it out and see how it goes? Obviously my main worry is that I've knackered so many beta cells in those last few years that getting back to a baseline of 4-5 consistently might no longer be possible.

For what it's worth my average numbers have been steadily going down since I started controlling them again. I just remember that last time I did this the drop-offs were quicker.

Any thoughts appreciated! I'll be asking my doctor too but I've always found people on this forum to be more expert on this stuff

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @AlexMagd , it would help if you could tell us what you had for your meal that has caused the rise on your graph and what you would eat in a typical day. Those pesky carbs have a habit of hiding in places you don’t expect, we may be able to help you make some tweaks to improve things for you.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @AlexMagd , it would help if you could tell us what you had for your meal that has caused the rise on your graph and what you would eat in a typical day. Those pesky carbs have a habit of hiding in places you don’t expect, we may be able to help you make some tweaks to improve things for you.
Hi

I had two slices of reduced sugar wholemeal bread (16g) with cheddar. Just water to drink. So I expected a jump, but not for the extended 'tail' drop-off

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not familiar with ”reduced sugar wholemeal bread”. What does the “16g“ refer to, grams of sugar, grams of carbs or grams of bread?

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not familiar with ”reduced sugar wholemeal bread”. What does the “16g“ refer to, grams of sugar, grams of carbs or grams of bread?
Total carbs. It's a Warburtons product. Each slice is 9g carb / 0.6g sugar

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Total carbs. It's a Warburtons product. Each slice is 9g carb / 0.6g sugar
I have to say 2 slices at 9g carbs each (18g total) would be too much for me at lunchtime. I can tolerate more, but only around 10 - 15g carbs, for an evening meal than at lunchtime, in fact I don’t eat lunch these days. Insulin resistance lessens throughout the day for me.
Anyway testing is how we find out these things so you are doing the right thing with a Libre. I wear one too and think they are fantastic. Maybe try just one slice of bread next time or try the two slices as your evening meal?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find flour of any kind, spikes me.
I agree I only eat specifically low carb bread these day. I use the Low Carb Food Company’s rolls 1.2g carbs each.

Reactions: AlexMagd

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess it's not the spike I'm questioning - it's the long drop-off. Previously I was used to BG returning to a baseline of around 4/5 a couple of hours after eating carbs. These days I seem to be baselining at 7-8 most of the day, regardless of what I eat. Just trying to see from other members' experience if that's likely to improve with continued carb control and/or weight loss.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it's not the spike I'm questioning - it's the long drop-off. Previously I was used to BG returning to a baseline of around 4/5 a couple of hours after eating carbs. These days I seem to be baselining at 7-8 most of the day, regardless of what I eat. Just trying to see from other members' experience if that's likely to improve with continued carb control and/or weight loss.
Maybe it's because you had cheese with it? Fats slow down the rise, but the carbs will have to be processed eventually, so it stays up a while longer than you're used to. If you'd had it without the fats, the spike might've been higher, faster. The drop might've been quicker too, though.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try going for a 20 minute walk after eating. Helps me get my bloods down quicker after meals.

I've gone through periods when the drop off after meals has been slow. Never lasted more than a couple of weeks though once I was back managing my diet and exercise.