small retinal hole

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
After waiting three months to see consultant after suffering flashing in my left eye finally got to see him yesterday and they found a small hole which he says he will review in three weeks as sometimes treatment makes things worse
I would have thought that in three months the damage should be stable
Question is I have been told that laser is not painful but reading other posts it seems that is not true and anyway i have an eye phobia since being held down for drops as a 7 year old ,so what is it like from those of you who have undergone lasering :?:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had a few sessions on my left eye, tbh the first couple of times it was fine and only mildly uncomfortable, however the more laser I had it did start to become more painful, I asked the Ophthalmologist if it was fine to take pain killers leading up to and after the surgery and he said it was fine, it just took the edge off and made it more bearable, try not to worry as the Ophthalmology teams are great and will help alleviate your fears.

Marrocco

I've had three sessions so far, all pan-retinal coagulation on the left eye.

The first couple were OK, uncomfortable but not bad. The third, though, did hurt- and my eyes shut down mid-session: I had a solid view of green, very odd.

So: if in doubt, talk to the surgeon and if need be have the injection. It will be bearable.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Laser is painful for some but not for others. I got through my first session okay but the second had to be stopped because it was so painful. Ended up getting an anaesthetic injection in my eye. If I ever have to get more laser treatment I am going for the painkiller earlier on the day option. I think the fact that it is in the eye makes the pain feel worse psychologically. Lookimg back of I had the same pain anywhere else I would have been able to persevere.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Unbeliever

I have lost count of the laser sessions I have had over the last six years. For the last three most people would not even have attemped laser but my onsultant is wonderful -but even he is now running out of places to laser.

My first few sessions of laser -performed by a less experienced person severely damaged my retina . It is a miracle that I have not suffered a detached reina during other ops and procedures.

I hink that laser is becoming so common now that there is a perception hat anyone can do it. This is wrong. Laser surgery is just that _surgery. It doesn't need to be painful . The levels can be adjused. if it was oo painful I would ask them to stop.
There are some surgeons in my hospital whom others avoid because they can be "gung ho " about laser treatment.
This is a very diffficult problem forpatients as they are not consulted and in any cae would not know who o avouid.
All you can do is to express your concers.
It shouldn;t hurt -and if it isn't he operator it could be the machine.. If it is extremely uncomfortable maybe ask for the session o be stopped and to reurn on another occasion after aking either painkillers beforehand or getting pain relief frpm them.
I have undergone laser sessioms of an hour duraion at a time after which I could see nothing but blocks of colour for many hours - but it was not painful Traumaic certainly but no painful.
It is not intended to be painful and if it is then something is wrong and needs addressing.
Unless patients speak up nothng will change.