Snapped needle. What should i do ?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
For the first time in 11 years of injecting insulin a needle snapped off. It was early morning so I was not particulary alert and I have no idea if it is stuck in me, fell to the floor or stuck in my clothes.
I can't find it anywhere but I don't feel any pain in the injection site and can't see it pertruding from my stomach.

Can anyone share similar experiences and advise what could be done ?

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the first time in 11 years of injecting insulin a needle snapped off. It was early morning so I was not particulary alert and I have no idea if it is stuck in me, fell to the floor or stuck in my clothes.
I can't find it anywhere but I don't feel any pain in the injection site and can't see it pertruding from my stomach.

Can anyone share similar experiences and advise what could be done ?
A definitive way to know would be to x-ray the area you injected, I guess. Alternatively, run a magnet over the floor and your clothing and see if it picks anything up?

For me, as someone not using injectable meds (ergo easy to be ultra bold), I might be inclined to watch it for a day or so. It's amazing how our bodies can reject foreign bodies. If the area is somewhere that comes under pressure (like bottom, from sitting), I might be less inclined.

Anyway, I am NOT saying do as I do. You have to evaluate your risks. If in doubt, perhaps give your Doc/Nurse/Clinic a call for their view.

Reactions: Antje77 and Wurst

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alternatively, run a magnet over the floor and your clothing and see if it picks anything up?
Won't work, it's stainless steel.

Otherwise, I agree with @AndBreathe . A very small needle is very hard to find so it can be anywhere.
Personally, I'd likely be feeling frantically all over my injection place, pushing and kneading from all directions to see if I could feel anything, and if I didn't, I would assume it had dropped somewhere.
But the advice I'd give someone else is to contact your doctor/nurse or 111 for advice on if this is worth an x-ray or not.

Good luck, and let us know how this stupid diabetes adventure ends, @Wurst !

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members

Otherwise, I agree with @AndBreathe . A very small needle is very hard to find so it can be anywhere.
Personally, I'd likely be feeling frantically all over my injection place, pushing and kneading from all directions to see if I could feel anything, and if I didn't, I would assume it had dropped somewhere.
But the advice I'd give someone else is to contact your doctor/nurse or 111 for advice on if this is worth an x-ray or not.

Tried the magnet and realized it won't work :) Fortunately I have an appointment with my diabetic doctor tomorrow so can ask then. I have been poking and prodding the injection site and don't feel anything , when I inject I can feel the needle quite prominately. So hoping it's fallen out and disappeared.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I think I have a new phobia :hilarious: . I don't feel the needle at all when I inject. Please tell me that the needle cannot be lost inside the body

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have a new phobia :hilarious: . I don't feel the needle at all when I inject. Please tell me that the needle cannot be lost inside the body
The body will usually find a way to eject a foreign body, but that isn't totally assured, especially where the item would be sterile (as opposed to a dirty splinter or whatever).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Good point Batman!

• Friendly