So confused over what Drs are saying.

Colliewobbles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
About two years ago my old GP told me i was pre diabetic after having the fasting blood tests etc........ i do have only 1 kidney and have severe osteoarthritis... so i excercise as much as i can and i have injections every six months to releive pain.

I then decided to move to a new drs which was a big mistake they were useless and told me to ignore what the dr had said.. i plodded on and my weight increased to nearly 20 stone at 5ft 8 ins, i took a long look at myself last year and decided it was a time for me to change everything especially as my dad passed away in March of heart attack, then mum had one in front of me on the same day she found dad and brother has had 3 heart attacks. i have been checked and thank god my heart is ok.

So I moved to a fantastic drs, gone on reach for health and lost nearly 3 stone since september, eat healthily, more fruit and veg and i have a personal trainer at gym who knows my disabilities and what i can and cant do...

I didnt go nuts over Christmas and just put 2lbs on which have now come off, but last Sunday i was short of breath with tightening chest and thought i would go to drs in morning but it got worse, i put it down to the fact after the injections i tend to bloat for a week or two and sometimes kicks off asthma.. So the paramedic comes out and asks me if i am diabetic, no i said.

Went to GP and Hospital who said i had chest infection and went home with tablets.. Alls good, until the GP rang me this morning and said on the day you went to hospital what did you eat that day...... i had eaten breakfast in the morning only and couple of drinks and that was it, it was at least 10 hours later when they did a blood prick test and apparently it come back at 10.4 thats all i know at the moment and been told again i might be pre diabetic..

i have changed the way i eat and losing weight and doing everything else i should be...... but drs keep saying yes you are or no your not and we do a blood test in a year, i do gym work, swimming more if i am struggling to walk.. i go from walking to crutches to my wheelchair depending on how bad i am..

is 10.4 bad or good after 10 hours not eating. Dr ringing me on Thursday to discuss more.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not good although a random blood test should be over 11 before they normally do further checks. Currently a fasting blood test which yours equates to has to be only over 7 on two occasions for you to be considered diabetic. My opinion is that you are diabetic and the doctors are bumping into each other and looking confused.

Ask him for an Hba1c test.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A 10.4 is high after 2hrs after food. Before food even less a good sign.

Have you had a recent hba1c test from your gp? Ask him/her. Ask if your diabetic or not. Ask for a diabetic team (nurse) for point of call. If none coming as to be referred to an endocrologist if your gp doesn't understand what condition you have. Let us know how you get on.
Ps. Fruit makes me get high numbers as of potato, bread, pasta and rice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat according to my blood glucose meter. If you can reduce your blood glucose levels then you should find that you can lose weight more easily - but it does mean that you have to avoid sugary and starchy foods.

Reactions: Confucius

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What injections are you having? If they are prednisone or similar, they can impact your BG levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was about to ask the same question as Indy. Steroids can actually cause diabetes if you are already teetering on the edge.

I imagine the doctor will want you to have a full diabetes diagnosis check. This involves a blood test known as an HbA1c, which will show your average blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. If this test comes back at 48 or over, you are diabetic. If it comes back between 42 and 47, you are at risk and this is known as pre-diabetes. Under 42 and you are OK. (For now)

Once you have spoken to your doctor and have a firm diagnosis, come back and let us know.

Colliewobbles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually have cortisone injections with some aneasthetic thrown in.. i have not a clue re diabetes but after the injections i do bloat for a month or two while it settles down.. now this happened 4 days after i come out of hospital for the injections but what really worried me is they wanted an ambulance to attend to me on sunday and i refused, butthey sent out a paramedic car.. i then went to see out of hours dr who said i had a chest infection.. as they have moved the out of hours to centre of town and away from the hospital.. i ended up having to walk through town centre at 1am to a bank.. and on the way to the taxi ranki became very short of breath........ very tight in chest etc so diverted to hospital with the green form that the paramedic had told them i had a temp and also sugar levels of 10.4 and this was like atleast 10 to 12 hours after the last meal.. no one picked it up and i went home in the same state i had left in but have been going dizzy etc........ dr is ringing me on thursday and apparently the surgerys asthma nurse is also the surgerys diabetic nurse....... so they made an appoint for two weeks time and she said they were not doing the fasting one just a blood test where i can eat...... sorry to be so vague but am really cheesed off with being messed around and one min i am and one min i am not and if i am i change to a new healthy living but now that might not be possible as it contains rice and pasta and fruit which i can eat till it comes out of my ears.. so after working hard to get weight off from september to present,now finding that my levels are up........ :( feeling rather disheartened

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that trying to fight off an infection would elevate blood glucose levels - but that most things labelled healthy are quite deadly to some people, particularly to diabetics in a carb crazy culture.

Ixkin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness and some things which are apparently good for me ...
I had a steroid injection in one of my hips in November and when I mentioned this to the nurse at my review the week before she did say that my bg could rise as a result of the injection. I don't test so I'm not sure if it did or not I've been diagnosed around 18 months and am still trying to get my head round all I should and shouldn't be doing but hopefully a course in March should help with the food confusion. I sympathize with your feelings but try to keep positive, after all you've done great with the weight and exercise so far :)

Reactions: callyandy

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Steriods like cortisone or prenisone will elevate BG levels quite a bit and if you have them on an empty stomach they will rocket up. They also leave you more prone to infection.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a steroid injection in one of my hips in November and when I mentioned this to the nurse at my review the week before she did say that my bg could rise as a result of the injection. I don't test so I'm not sure if it did or not I've been diagnosed around 18 months and am still trying to get my head round all I should and shouldn't be doing but hopefully a course in March should help with the food confusion. I sympathize with your feelings but try to keep positive, after all you've done great with the weight and exercise so far :)
Welcome to the forum. I've been on a" prediabetic" course presented by an independent company, but funded by NHS England. I've found it very beneficial both regarding education surrounding diabetes and the Low Carb Higher Fat diet it has introduced me to. I hope your course helps you in the same way. GOOD LUCK