1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 So confused!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Sunshine1000, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

1. Sunshine1000

Sunshine1000 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi, I am 54 and was diagnosed with type 1 four weeks ago . I am metformin twice a day. I feel that I am coping ok with testing and eating accordingly and have reduced my sugars and carbs. But sometimes I think I have eaten well but my levels are high and then don’t know what I should have done. I am so tired and getting really hungry even though I have had a meal. I have even woken in the night due to hunger!
    Can anyone point me towards a good choice for snacking when I’m soo hungry? Is tiredness normal and should I give into it!
    Thanks for reading this ramble!

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Hi and welcome,

You say you are T1 but only on Metformin. Is this correct? Can you give us a little information about your diagnosis - which tests you had and what the results were? What sort of symptoms did you have prior to diagnosis? Were you losing or gaining weight without trying?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sunshine1000

Yes just metformin. I had a urine test that had high glucose and blood levels. There was no weight change just sudden (over two weeks) onset of fatigue, nausea, shakiness and headaches. I have had an antibody blood test to confirm t1, get the results on Monday.

4. Sunshine1000

I felt quite a lot better the first week of taking the Metformin but am now going downhill a bit.

5. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Hi. If you really are T1 then you probably need to go onto insulin shortly although there can be a honeymoon period when a low-carb diet may hold your BS at bay but with T1 that will not last. Did the GP also do a c-peptide test to check your insulin levels?

• Like Like x 1
  6. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, tiredness is common in untreated diabetes, without insulin your body cannot use the energy in the food you are consuming so you easily get fatigued. Before diagnosis I could easily sleep 12hrs a day and still feel tired. For me, taking insulin was like somebody throwing a switch.

Good luck, you know where to find us.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook