Type 2 So tired all the time - could this be meds?

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm back on the forum after a couple of years because I wanted to ask some advice.

I'm T2 (4 years since diagnosis) and have just had my metformin inceased from 1000mg to 1500mg per day. I also take Lisinopril for high blood pressure and the doc wants me to take statins for cholesterol. I've just started a new (stressful) job after completing a 2 year Masters Degree in August and I'm feeling tired ALL the time. I was recently treated for anxiety because I was finding work / home very stressful but discontinued the meds (with support of the doc) because of a bad reaction. I feel tired, a bit dizzy, have a bit of brain fog and feel disconnected a lot of the time. My question is, does this sound normal? I miss feeling like my normal self and it's difficult trying to learn a new job when feeling exhausted all the time. I used to be really switched on but now I feel like I sometimes struggle to learn new things and feel a bit vague. I'm feeling quite anxious about diabetes related medical stuff and feel like I'm just on a slow decline.

Surely this isn't how I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life!

I'd appreciate any support as I'm trying to cope but honestly I'm struggling at the moment.

Thank you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few more details about your life style would help us, do you control your diet in any way, do you monitor your own blood sugar levels and do you know your last HbA1c test result?

Reactions: ziggy_w

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Blood sugar levels out of control?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me like high blood sugars. You certainly show some of the symptoms.

As asked above, do you have a meter, and do you self test regularly?

What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

D

Deleted Account

As others have mentioned, being tired is a common symptom of high BG.
Unfortunately, one cause of high BG is stress.
Which could lead to a spiral - feeling stressed about high BG raises BG more.

So, as well as checking your BG, if possible, try to relax. Yeah, I know that's much much easier said than done but if you can take some time out - read a book, have a relaxing bath, combine the two, or whatever else helps you chill - it should help.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had B12, iron levels (Hb, ferritin and some more) and thyroid hormones checked? Metformin is known to cause B12 deficiency. Hypothyroidism is very common and even more so among diabetics. Anaemia can have lots of causes.

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. My latest hba1c was 51 which the DN said was ok. New full time job as a newly qualified social worker and two teenagers at home. Husband does loads but sometimes I just come home and cry. Feel overwhelmed by things like having to do washing up and waking up between 3 and 5 am every morning. Recently was prescribed citalopram for anxiety but had a really bad reaction so stopped with the Doc's approval. Waiting for blood test results for lots of things after an IBS type spell so I guess I'll find out whether there's any (more) underlying conditions on the 30th. Just feeling very tired, emotional and lost. All I want is to feel normal again but all I can imagine is a future dominated by diabetes and related complications.