Insulin
Last edited by a moderator:

Quiller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quiller 230 a day?

Not me personally; as I said I try for about 100 g a day. The table is something I downloaded from somewhere (I've forgotten where), and is described as the GDA - Guideline Daily Amounts. It is not a recommendation for diabetics, but a "guideline" for the general population I believe and shows 230 g for women and 300 g for men. I just googled GDA and came up with this link, the first of many. It states "An individual's nutritional requirements can vary with gender, weight, activity levels and age, meaning some people may need to eat more and others less." However, they don't appear to mention medical conditions, but as I say I am not saying, and I suspect they are not saying either, that these figures are ok for people with diabetes. As you can see from the replies different people make different choices.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In general, I recommend Peter Attia's blog on nutrition. He is a surgeon who moved over into nutrition and works with Gary Taubes on their Nutrition Science initiative, trying to set up evidence-based randomised controlled trials to test low carb eating habits and effects on heart health.

Link: http://eatingacademy.com/start-here

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not a recommendation for diabetics, but a "guideline" for the general population I believe and shows 230 g for women and 300 g for men.
And just remember how many of the general population will become diabetics. The human animal was not designed to run on carbs, they are meant to be a very small part of our diet, diabetic or not.
Sally

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I didn't become diabetic by eating carbs :eek: It would appear to be down to a combination of factors, especially regarding type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count religiously but I will usually be between 35 and 80 depending on if we are out and about. I found the constant hunger and IBS symptoms vanished just by ditching the carbs.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't become diabetic by eating carbs :eek: It would appear to be down to a combination of factors, especially regarding type 2 diabetes.
Yes, insulin-resistance-caused diabetes is Type 2. We have our rogue immune system preoccupations to thank for our Type 1.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, insulin-resistance-caused diabetes is Type 2. We have our rogue immune system preoccupations to thank for our Type 1.

We all live with it and strive to do our best to kick it's butt ( from time to time);) :cool:

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just worked out my daily carb intake on the ND and it about 30 grams, tending towards 28.2 grams per day

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
More than half the forum eat over 75g carbs a day and 12.5% dont count them at all.
Or looking at the result in another way (a couple of minutes ago), almost a quarter ate less than 50g and 70% ate less than 130g. And that was way back in 2011, I expect we have all learnt a lot since then.
I presume the poll is still open for votes, but maybe a new one would be interesting to reflect changing times.
Sally

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Or looking at the result in another way (a couple of minutes ago), almost a quarter ate less than 50g and 70% ate less than 130g. And that was way back in 2011, I expect we have all learnt a lot since then.
I presume the poll is still open for votes, but maybe a new one would be interesting to reflect changing times.
Sally

Im not sure the forum allows polls any more so we'll never know will we?

As for your comment "(a couple of minutes ago), almost a quarter ate less than 50g and 70% ate less than 130g." Perhaps thats because those members who do eat more than 75g of carbs a day dont post here regularly any more because they feel threatened by some of the more vocal lchf enthusiasts who insist that their way is best.

Talk of who eats what is completely pointless really, no one will never convince me that I am doing anything wrong as I have lost weight and maintained that weight loss for over 5 years now and have excellent bg and cholesterol levels.

As for what others do is it any of my concern? If someone wants to eat half a pound of butter for breakfast every morning like Jimmy Moore or eat a vegan diet as some successfully do to control their diabetes, its up to them, I have always said there are probably as many diabetic diets as there are diabetics.

Does it really matter how many carbs someone eats a day or whether they choose to increase the fat in their diet or not?

Surely the common ground here is that we can all agree that some form of carb reduction is a good idea, as to how much of a reduction is a personal choice and not really anyone elses business is it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Im not sure the forum allows polls any more so we'll never know will we?

As for your comment "(a couple of minutes ago), almost a quarter ate less than 50g and 70% ate less than 130g." Perhaps thats because those members who do eat more than 75g of carbs a day dont post here regularly any more because they feel threatened by some of the more vocal lchf enthusiasts who insist that their way is best.

Talk of who eats what is completely pointless really, no one will never convince me that I am doing anything wrong as I have lost weight and maintained that weight loss for over 5 years now and have excellent bg and cholesterol levels.

As for what others do is it any of my concern? If someone wants to eat half a pound of butter for breakfast every morning like Jimmy Moore or eat a vegan diet as some successfully do to control their diabetes, its up to them, I have always said there are probably as many diabetic diets as there are diabetics.

Does it really matter how many carbs someone eats a day or whether they choose to increase the fat in their diet or not?

Surely the common ground here is that we can all agree that some form of carb reduction is a good idea, as to how much of a reduction is a personal choice and not really anyone elses business is it.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/diabetes-discussions.1/create-thread
There you go Sid, and it incorporates polls.

RRB

Reactions: 3 people