Something else!!!

Jenfy

Glad to say I think my BG is under control! I only do urine testing currently but it looks reasonably stable. (couple of highs but as newly diagnosed I've been experimenting with food and maybe this accounts for highs!) Why I thought then do I feel rotten? Had a routine GP appointment today and discussed this. He did a urine test and found blood in it. Says I have a UTI and sent the sample off to the lab to try and discover the reason I have this. I have had a few over the last few years but never felt really ill with it before. Diabetes related or not I wonder? It wasn't my own GP and he wasn't terribly sympathetic about the diabetes. Initially in short, his attitude was 1 in 5 people have it just get on with it! When he discovered the UTI his attitude was better. Not sure that's reassuring or not. What do you think?

marigold36

oh hope you feel better soon. UTI' s are horrible.

I had a raging uti shorty after diagnosis and put it down to high blood sugars giving the bugs a better chance of growing. I had never had one before, or since, but it was awful.

Keep yourself hydrated, and the trimethropin they put you on for it makes youfeel ill as well but it should be gone in about a week and you should feel a little better in a few days.

Cranberry juice, relly does help if you can stand the taste.

M

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Some safety advice has previously been issued to doctors and other prescribers such as pharmacists and nurses. This has included the potentially lethal combinations of the anti-coagulant warfarin and cranberry juice, anti-cholesterol drugs known as statins and grapefruit juice, and oral contraceptives, antidepressants and anti-HIV drugs and the popular herb St John's wort.

For info:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/apr/1 ... ciencenews

other point
Urine testing gives a less accurate picture of your blood glucose than blood testing, but your doctor may still feel that it is suitable for you. It is less accurate because there is usually no glucose in your urine unless the glucose levels has risen to 10mmol/l or above, which is considered quite high. Also, it does not give you an indication of what your blood glucose level is at the time you test, because the urine you are testing may have been produced several hours before you test.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Blood_glucose/Urine_testing/

Bob

Jenfy

I have just ordered a BG blood meter and test strips. Including postage this was under £30 value for money I feel as I'm sure I would be better testing blood as well as urine!
Thanks to all for your advice and good wishes x