son's glucose levels

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I joined this morning and posted asking for advice about my 7 year old son, just wanted to post some readings and ask basically what is 'normal' before I go rushing to the doctors in a panic.....
Fri evening 17.4
Sat 8am before food 6.9
Sat 11am 2 hours after breakfast 8.6
Sat 2pm 2 hours after eating 5.8
Sat 9pm before bed 13.5
Sun 9.15am before eating 10.6
Sun 1pm 2 hours after food 8.0
Sun 16.10 before food 8.0
Sun 16.30 straight after food 7.6
I am waiting for urine samples to come back from the doctors from Friday, would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance x

Darwin195

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I joined this morning and posted asking for advice about my 7 year old son, just wanted to post some readings and ask basically what is 'normal' before I go rushing to the doctors in a panic.....
Fri evening 17.4
Sat 8am before food 6.9
Sat 11am 2 hours after breakfast 8.6
Sat 2pm 2 hours after eating 5.8
Sat 9pm before bed 13.5
Sun 9.15am before eating 10.6
Sun 1pm 2 hours after food 8.0
Sun 16.10 before food 8.0
Sun 16.30 straight after food 7.6
I am waiting for urine samples to come back from the doctors from Friday, would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance x

If it's only recently that your boy has been diagnozed his levels with be up and down high and low but probably try and get him on a good diet and after time you'll see his levels start to level out and hopefully you'll get an average of around 6-8

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry he's not yet been diagnosed, he's not even been tested, I'm doing this on advice from a friend who is a diabetic, my son is always poorly but I'm forever getting told it's a 'virus' I took him to a&e and they could only find protein in his water, he has really sore feet that are cracked and bleed all the time, the doctor said this was down to his trainers, I was just having a conversation with my friend about it and he gave me the machine to test his levels, as his feet go the same as my son's, I'm just trying to get some advice before I go into the doctors and demand more test, I always feel abit stupid going to the docs and don't want them to think I'm a 'hypercondriact' if this makes sense?? Thank you for your reply x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi croper and welcome to you and your son::)) have you had the advice from@daisy1 yet, ?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Croper, you are doing the right thing, keep posting and asking questions, and you will get answers ::))

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Croper i realise your son has not been diagnosed yet but from his readings its obvious somethings up with his blood sugars, try and get him to eat high protein low carbohydrate and fats like butter and cream, peanut butter is ok, but the thing we find pushes our blood readings up high is bread,four,pasta,rice ,

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Clivethedrive my son is very fussy, he doesn't eat anything dairy and trying to get him to eat a proper meal is like getting blood from a stone :( but I will try and get his diet alot better, he does eat alot of blueberries, Strawberries and grapes, I just want something done, and really just want to know if I should take him to the doctors with these readings?
Thank you for your reply :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yes most definitely ,he needs tests done to find out whats causing the blood swings,this usually involves testing urine with strip that checks for proteins in the wee,and finger prick to test blood glucose.and one or two other tests as well,keep testing and make a record of his results.

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Clivethedrive, they found protein in his wee when I took him to hospital on Thursday, they took another sample so I have to wait for them results to come back

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any news croper?
Hi Clivethedrive I couldn't get him in the doctors till tmoz morning, I'm there first thing, strange though I came home from work and had a letter from the doctors saying they had received a letter from the emergency department and they need to see him and do another urine test, so hopefully I might get some answers tmoz, this may be a strange question but would u suggest I tell them I have been checking his levels or should I not mention? Just would like your advice, don't want them thinkinh a mad woman :) thanks

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Clivethedrive I couldn't get him in the doctors till tmoz morning, I'm there first thing, strange though I came home from work and had a letter from the doctors saying they had received a letter from the emergency department and they need to see him and do another urine test, so hopefully I might get some answers tmoz, this may be a strange question but would u suggest I tell them I have been checking his levels or should I not mention? Just would like your advice, don't want them thinkinh a mad woman :) thanks
Hold your cards close to your chest and watch what they do and say, if your not happy ...produce the readings that you have kept ......things are moving in the right direction and hopefully ,they will arrive at the right diagnosis , please let us know what happens ::))

croper

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hold your cards close to your chest and watch what they do and say, if your not happy ...produce the readings that you have kept ......things are moving in the right direction and hopefully ,they will arrive at the right diagnosis , please let us know what happens ::))
I will do and thank you for asking

Reactions: 2 people

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Since diabetes runs in the family, it would be better to monitor your son's blood sugar because it looks that he has already pre-diabetes from the way you describe his conditions. A blood sugar of 113 mg/dL is actually still okay (as the doctor told you a level of 70 to 120 mg/dL is about average for a fasting blood sugar or FBS) and so 113 mg/dL is within the range, however, because of the symptoms that you described, it is best let your son undergo complete blood chemistry to really determine his actual condition so that treatment could be implemented or diet and exercise alone could be done. Because your son is still very young, controlling his sugar would assure him of a good normal life without the destructive complications of the disease. Please act on this matter immediately for your peace of mind and for the health of your 13 year old son.