Soya milk

popps

Hello all, I've recently started drinking Alpro Original soya milk, as I've read it can be beneficial in reducing cholesterol. My cholesterol levels have dropped from 6.4 to 5.8 to 5.2 on last three blood tests, with a low/moderate carb diet, exercise together with taking plant stanols and almonds with meals. However, my doc says it should be below 5, and I don't want to resort to statins. What concerns me is will drinking the recommended 25g of soya milk (about three 250ml glasses) a day have an adverse effect on my blood sugar levels?

The nutritional value per 250ml glass is 6.5g carbs, of which sugar is 6.0g. Is this high? I actually like the Alpro Original, as opposed to the Alpro Lite, but don't want to jeopardise my bs control. Has anyone tried this?

saz1

I think 6 g sugars is quite high especially since you would have to drink quite a lot of the stuff. But it all depends how your blood sugars react to it so test test test and you will soon find out what happens. I have never tried, can't stand the taste of the stuff... But you are doing brilliantly with your cholesterol levels so if it carries on going down, you don't have to start on a statin. I am determined not to ever start on one since they can have really nasty side effects too. I'm going for my second blood test soon, my first result was 5.3 so hopefully there is no need for me to start an arguement with the doc... :oops:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Popps,

I also use soya milk as I have an allergic reaction to cows milk. Soya milk is around half the carb content of semi-skimmed milk and is supposed to be good at increasing the good cholesterol (HDL) and lowering the bad stuff (LDL). If you are drinking 750ml this is still less than 20g of carb over the course of a day so is not high. I did try the Alpro Lite but thought it looked and tasted like slightly chalky water!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use ASDA Unsweetened Soya Milk - Calcium & vitamin enriched. Its 60 p per litre.

The analysis is much better than Alpro.

Per 100 ml:
Energy 31 kcal
Protein 3.3 g
Carb 0.2 (sugar 0.1)
Fat 1.9
Calcium 120 mg

That is the same price as Tesco, but Tesco is not enriched.
I bought Alpro light in Tescos, then when I poured it out it looked like slightly chalky water, so I looked at the data. It was so inferior, even to Tesco's own, that I got my money back - even for the opened one.

I use soya milk on my "porridge" (made with ground almonds, wheat germ, soya protein, oat bran & mixed seeds, but no porridge oatmeal) & I eat soya yoghurt, but its horrid in tea.

I also include soya protein in my "savoury slices" (QV.)

popps

Yesterday, tried adding a scoop of soya isolate to the Alpro lite, blended it in, but ... I don't know, still prefer the Alpro original.

Trinkwasser

What you really need is a full lipid panel, the total cholesterol number on its own is a cheap test but fairly meaningless.

jwhiteside

I'm told that my cholesterol was 4.7, and that was too high by today's standards for a diabetic, although within normal range for non diabetic.

They want to put me on Statins, but so far resisiting

I have been using Soya milk for years though, long before being diagnosed diabetic, as I have lactose intolerance, and I have tried lots of different versions, but I like the Tesco Everyday unsweetened best of all.

If I recall, the Original Alpro is sweetened, so you may want to look for an alternative. I know some brands use fruit juice for sweetening, and that usually sends my glucose levels sky high.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jwhiteside said:
have been using Soya milk for years though, long before being diagnosed diabetic, as I have lactose intolerance, and I have tried lots of different versions, but I like the Tesco Everyday unsweetened best of all.

This quite an old thread Whiteside but it doesn't matter, have you tried Arla Lactofree Milk, here is a link describing their product:

http://www.lactofree.co.uk/products/

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rather than start a new thread on the same subject, I'm resurrecting an existing one.

I gave up drinking organic whole milk getting on for two months or so, just because I found it tasted 'thin' in comparison to all the higher fat dairy products that I eat. To my complete surprise, my nose seemed so much clearer that I was able to breathe properly through my nose. Then after about three weeks, I made cream of mushroom soup for lunch with MrCeleriac.Severe guts ache and nausea resulted. Have trialled milk since and at least severe indigestion and cramps resulted.

I'm absolutely fine with full fat organic live yogurt from cows and sheep, cheeses of all kinds, kefir, creme fraiche, double cream, soured cream - all the things with lower levels of lactose.

I'm happy to drink Earl Grey and assorted herbal teas. Yesterday however, in a big Morrisons, I spotted M Organic long life unsweetened soya drink, 1 litre for £1. Tried it in cocoa = horrible. Tried today with Earl Grey tea and couldn't taste the soya at all.

Ingredients are water*, soybeans (7%) and flavouring*. * = permitted non-organic ingredients. Vegetarian. Lactose-free.

Per 100ml
Carbs 0.4g of which sugars are 0.1g
Fibre 0.5g
Protein 3.3g
Fat 2.2g of which saturates are 0.5g
Salt Trace

Per 250ml serving
Carbs 1g of which sugars 0.3g
Fibre 1.3g
Protein 8.3g
Fat 5.5g of which saturates 1.3g
Salt 0.1g

Organic soya = no GM and no Roundup (glyphosate). This product is certified organic, has 0.5% more soya beans than the Alpro organic soya drink and costs 40p per litre less than the Alpro (31p-37p less in Morrisons)

Soo.. hoping to get some info from soya milk drinkers or anyone with any knowledge, opinion or results.. does it raise BG ? Is it good or bad for people with diabetes ?

Our local Morrisons doesn't stock their own brand so I'll be trying the Alpro organic soya.

Tesco does Tesco organic unsweetened soya 1 litre for £1 also. ASDA organic unsweetened longlife soya is 1.15 for 1 litre yet the sweetened is only £1 ! Ocado has 500ml sizes of the Alpro organic longlife one for 75p, the 1L size for 1.40 and a fresh organic soya from Alpro which is sweetened for 1.78 for a litre. Ocado also has Provamel organic unsweetened soya, 1.55 for 1 litre.

Soo.. hoping to get some info from soya milk drinkers or anyone with any knowledge or opinion or results. Does soya milk raise BG ? Is it good or bad for people with diabetes ? Which ones do you like ? Besides supermarkets, where might I find it ?

Thanks ! xx

Fibre

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have to watch some of the Alpro drinks because they can definitely contain contain added sugar, so check if they do an unweetened soya version, or find another unsweetened brand. I use their Almond milk and have to make sure that it's labelled as "unsweetened" as their Original one definitely contains added sugar.

I'd personally not be happy about drinking any liquid with that amount of sugar on my low carb diet, and I'd be more concerned over my glucose levels than my cholersterol. But are you testing to see how your levels are responding to it, rather than relying on our opinions on your sugar consumption.

I also feel that some practices are more interested in things like cholesterol levels in diabetics rather than trying to help them improve and control their glucose levels. Mine certainly appears to be this way inclined, and their percentage of diabetics with good glucose control has been appalling to put it mildly...

And finally you should definitely ask to a full detailed cholesterol test to get the relative levels of HDL and LDL - this last is the one that needs to be lower.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clive I tried the Alpro organic almond one and hated it.

I tried a sweetened hazelnut one from Holland & Barrett - Provamel ? Made amazing cocoa, it was like drinking praline - but too sweet for me.

I've had Rude Health unsweetened organic hazelnut which is just right to try with chia seeds I think, for a pudding. Not as good for cocoa. Nice to drink but too carby to drink often.

I'm open to other suggestions tho !

Robbity, I'm confused, I didn't mention cholesterol and there's nowt wrong with mine.

I've been eating organic and wild since 2012 and three things have happened:
1. My health has improved.
2. My tastebuds have become amazingly sensitive
3. My tolerance for carbs (except in dairy and veggies) has gone way down.

I don't need to test my BG after FOOD, I know that if it tastes sweet to me, it will have an effect on my BG. Even ridiculously small amounts like 2 tsps of sweet piccalilli LOL. That's why having such good tastebuds now, is so useful !

I don't know whether I always had an intolerance to processed carbs and that's why I developed T2DM. I don't know whether my body has got used to having virtually additive free food and they cause a reaction if I eat anything processed ? I don't know whether my digestive system now lacks the necessary enzymes to eat some of the things I used to. Or maybe it's a combination of factors.

It doesn't matter to me if I never eat piccalilli again. What's important to me, is keeping my BG low to help my broken metabolic system.

The soya milk tried so far, is unsweetened and doesn't taste sweet to me. It's made of soya beans and water.

You're right, the Alpro packaging is really confusing at first glance. It's necessary to read it all very carefully !

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried either shops own brand unsweetened soya milk or Alpro whole bean? As a Diabetic with cows milk allergy I find either is very nice on its own, in hot drinks or to cook with

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Has anyone tried either shops own brand unsweetened soya milk or Alpro whole bean? As a Diabetic with cows milk allergy I find either is very nice on its own, in hot drinks or to cook with
Yep unsweetened alpro almond milk, very nice

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, I've recently started drinking Alpro Original soya milk, as I've read it can be beneficial in reducing cholesterol. My cholesterol levels have dropped from 6.4 to 5.8 to 5.2 on last three blood tests, with a low/moderate carb diet, exercise together with taking plant stanols and almonds with meals. However, my doc says it should be below 5, and I don't want to resort to statins. What concerns me is will drinking the recommended 25g of soya milk (about three 250ml glasses) a day have an adverse effect on my blood sugar levels?

The nutritional value per 250ml glass is 6.5g carbs, of which sugar is 6.0g. Is this high? I actually like the Alpro Original, as opposed to the Alpro Lite, but don't want to jeopardise my bs control. Has anyone tried this?

Well I've been type 1 diabetic for 22/25 years of my life and have been drinking soya milk for about 3-5 years.

Now I don't know where you are based but sainbury's and most of the big shops do their own bog-standard soya's in the long-life isle; I've found that I actually prefer their unsweetened to just about anything. Alternatively you either need to calculate and inject for the milk (like for the lactose sugar in normal cows milk) or if you're type 2 build it into your diet and adjust accordingly.

Alternatively, and I know this sounds horrendous to most meat eaters, my step-dad slashed his cholesterol my just cutting out meat. Still eats fish and the rest of his diet didnt change much, but he went from nearing the 'red zone' to about half.

Hope that helps xx

Reactions: 5 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
I have drunk unsweetened Soya for 12 years.
The asda unsweetened is fine but get the conventional package not the tall one (like the alpro)..it is only c.60p and the tall version is twice the price!

Lidl unsweetened is similar in price c.60p but this is in a tall package. NB. do not get mixed up with sweetened because they put the two together in the same carton carrier.

regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Jo123

I drink the supermarket own blend on its own as a hot drink or in cocoa with xyltol. But in coffee I much prefer the alpro fresh unsweetened. For tea I have the merest dash of ordinary milk. I don't find it affects my blood sugar at all and I have grown to like it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not soya milk, but I like the Koko coconut milk. I get the fresh one or the UHT version - both taste good, in my opinion. I prefer the taste to Alpro.

Carbs are listed as 1.9g per 100ml

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a look at the soy milks in my local Aldi supermarket today.

Not very impressed. Their "regular" one was a blend of soy protein isolate, vegetable oil, maltodextrin, sugar, emulsifiers, firming agents and a bunch of other ****. And more carbs than regular milk. Their premium "organinc" one looked a lot better at first glance, but was sweetened with "rice syrup" and contained even more carbs. I think I'll pass one these. :(