Spare Lantus cartridges

lucynical

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey - I've recently been changed to a pre-filled Lantus pen and therefore have a spare box of x5 Lantus cartridges - unopened. Does anyone know if there's somewhere I could "donate" these? Or pass them on to someone who can make use of them? I'll keep them in my fridge as usual but it just seems like such a waste to throw them away when the NHS is under such strain and medication is expensive.

Edited by mod to conform to forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There used to be charities that would take in date unopened insulin & diabetic supplies but they unfortunately suspended it and no one longer takes them. If you can’t use it as @Antje77 I suggest the best thing to do is to return to the pharmacy or ask them how you can dispose of it safely.

As a note of safety no one should take any form of prescription medicine that has not been specifically prescribed for them

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many many years ago I donated my just out of date Insulatard to my sister in law's diabetic cat.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You have to be careful it’s prescription only medication

My ex got in major trouble with her surgery after offering insulin not need, the surgery stated not only is it illegal, but people commit suicide with insulin so she should not even offer it to someone with a prescription

The best thing to do is take it back to the pharmacy and say it not needed they will dispose of it safely

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The best thing to do is take it back to the pharmacy and say it not needed they will dispose of it safely
That said, in a lot of countries the organisation Insulin for Life is active, just not in the UK, which is a shame.
They collect unneeded insulin and redistribute to people who do not have easy access to insulin, which is much better than to have the pharmacy destroy it.
I've donated insulin to them in the past when I switched to a different type, but I'm not in the UK. https://www.insulinforlife.org/get-on-board/donatesupplies/

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM