"Spare" Novopen 6

Toffer

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my (very old) Novopen-4 finally broke after 10+ years of constant use. I talked to the doctor who ordered me a replacement couple of Novipen-6. They also ordered another two for me "for spares". I've just read the packaging and realised that they only have a limited shelf life (5/6 years) because of the non-replaceable battery. I don't think the doctors appreciated the limitation.
Now I'm wondering what's the point of keeping "spares" - by the time my main ones have died - the spares are pretty much on their way out too.
I've talked to the doctors and pharmacy about this but they're duty bound to destroy them if I hand them back.
Does anyone here have a good suggestion for their better use as they're quite expensive and I don't like anything going to waste.
Thanks

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I'm wondering what's the point of keeping "spares" - by the time my main ones have died - the spares are pretty much on their way out too.
As you have a spares, you will not have any problems if you lose your in use pens and you can't find it / them.

Then you will thank your GP for giving you spares.

• Agree
Reactions: sleepster

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember someone posting about sending diabetic supplies to the Ukraine - maybe worth checking?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pens can break at any time. So you must have spares. And I recommend taking them with you when you go on holiday.
As for the shelf life of a pen, this only affects the counter/reminder at the top of the pen. They still dispense insulin doses when the battery expires. You just have to remember how much.
I now use an insulin pump and have been doing so for 7 years. I have a NovoPen 5 in case my pump fails. The counter died years ago but I have used the pen this year with no problems.

Reactions: 22nw22

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my (very old) Novopen-4 finally broke after 10+ years of constant use. I talked to the doctor who ordered me a replacement couple of Novipen-6. They also ordered another two for me "for spares". I've just read the packaging and realised that they only have a limited shelf life (5/6 years) because of the non-replaceable battery. I don't think the doctors appreciated the limitation.
I've talked to the doctors and pharmacy about this but they're duty bound to destroy them if I hand them back.
Does anyone here have a good suggestion for their better use as they're quite expensive and I don't like anything going to waste.
Thanks
Hi,

It makes sense to have spare functioning pens. The dose & when memory function for me, is just a “nice little touch.”
There seems to be a form of “built in obsolescence” too. When these devices can last for years.

I still write down the dose along with BGs & carbs (if eating.) in a phone app shared with my iPad & find it easier at a glance than a monochrome digital button screen.

Oddly, I just checked the end of my scruffy NP5 I’ve had for “donkeys..” the screen still works. Strangely, along with the cased up never used spare in my travel bag. (Currently happen to be on a break.)

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the battery. Main concern would be making sure I have a back up. Along with spares for my basal insulin too. :)

Reactions: In Response