Speed of progression

HI

I was diagnosed with type 2 some six or seven years agao and controlled it at that time with 1 x 30mg of gliclazide. Since that time however the disease has steadily progressed and I had to up my dosage of pills accordingly. Fistly they added 1 x 500mg of metformin, then 1 x 850mg, then 2 x 850mg and finally 4 x 500mg of metformin daily. This helped at the time but now my bloods are usually 9.6 in the morning and vary during the day from 6 to 16. In an attempt to level this out they put me on saxagliptin which did not work and just the other day I was prescribed ACTOS. Three days into this course and it is also having little or no effect on my bloods. So, in essence, I have in the course of six years gome from being fine and healthy to having the prospect of now having injections in order to regain control of my body. They say diabetes is progressive and, boy, are they right or what.................!!! I dont over eat and, in fact, eat less now than I ever have in the past concentrating on fruit, vegatables and lean meat. Very little carbs at all, perhaps less than one half a potato at meal times.

carefixer

Diabetes progresses at different rates in different genetic sub-types. People who get it relatively young typically in the 20s and early thirties and who are close to normal body weight are more likely to deteriorate more rapidly than those who develop it later in life. Typically they will be injecting in half the time that those who are diagnosed around forty are. The progress of diabetes can be slowed by removing the cause from your diet - trans-fats (see tfx.org) and replacing them with natural cis-isomer form oils. Unless you are one of the fairly rare curable types the progress of diabetes will not be stopped by this method, merely slowed. This is because beta cells tend to die off as you age and some of these beta cells will be the better functioning ones so your diabetes will still progress but at a slower rate. When you do start injecting I whole-heartedly recommend "Byetta" which is very good. I checked my bg this morning after not taking any meds for a couple of days and found it is currently 12.4 mmol/l. A few years ago it was >25 mmol/l on huge amounts of medication so I have improved a great deal over the years. I'm sure this doesn't sound so good to many readers but a great many of them have yet to experience the intense suffering caused by the consumption of trans-fats as they gradually poison their beta cells causing glucagon admittance (T2) and the obesity causing metabolic syndrome in other body cells. The torture will get worse unless you take action.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Trans fats cause diabetes, I didnt know that :roll:

So we all have diabetes because we ate trans fats did we? I too believe trans fats should be banned for food use in the UK but I think you presume rather a lot when you say they are the cause of obesity and diabetes, they may well be a contributing factor but surely not the cause.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I am agreeing with Sid on this one. I don't have transfats in my life as I do not eat processed carbs these days. I was often not in a financial position to buy prepared foods in the past either so cooked lots from scratch, even to the point of eating home killed pigs and sheep!
I did use a lot of carb rich vegetables, pulses and flour in home baked goods (and margarine).
To Lifesastruggle, there are no potatoes in my pantry and they haven't been there for 2 years. My BG cannot afford them. It is one of the reasons my diabetes has not progressed yet and has indeed gone back to non-diabetic levels.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I recall that pie pastry is very rich in transfats.

Before I was diagnosed, some cruel so called friends of mine would sing to me "He ate all the pies", now I realise they were in fact being kind and actually warning me that I was becoming diabetic.
If only I had known, I wouldnt have ostracised them

Now I am Johnny no mates and diabetic to boot :(

All the best - Steve