Spiralling Depression!..

db1

Hi all, hope all is well?
I've come across this website and have found this forum, and after reading some posts in the forum decided to join.... I've never really given much thought about diabetes related websites. But I’ve never also felt so lost and after today quite depressed...
My first post and I’d like to explain/explore if anyone else has been in my situation, as currently I feel rather lonesome regarding my Diabetes.

Sorry for the huge essay, hope it’s not too much!

I've just had my Diabetic Check-up at my Hospital, and my doctor was very rude, and didn't give me much support. He'd previously said he couldn’t help me if I don't change my injection routine, which for a Doctor to say I found extremely rude! My hba1c has been lingering around 8 for quite some time, and I'm on two injections a day. Doctor had said to me that I'd be able to go onto a pump previously, but today he said I'd have to go onto 4 injections a day...This for me is like my worst nightmare as I struggle to do two injections as it is... Its a huge mental battle for me and after four years going onto four injections will be like starting over again...

I also have a lot of trouble with injection sites, and when explaining to my doctor that I'd struggle with the suggestion as my injection sites don't heal very quickly, he looked at my abdomen site, and without checking properly told me that its fine! Told me to also stay on two injections for three months and then another checkup...

He then referred me to a nurse, which was absolutely useless! She told me that apparently my injection technique was completely wrong. I replied saying this is how I've been told, and she said "that was a long time ago, things have changed". How have things changed? But this nurse disregarded everything I had to say and it seemed that she was stuck in her own agenda, even trying to show me a correct way by injecting water into my stomach area! Is this even allowed? When I refused to let her, she told me that she'll put into the report that I wasn't compromising, and hinted that it can result in losing my Driving License!

Thinking over this just depresses me more, she had said so many unconstructive things... I finally then saw a Dietician, and finally a supportive session! She gave me a diary to keep record of my eating, and actually gave me more useful information and support than I've had with my doctor in the past four appointments at least! After leaving my appoints, I always feel down, but today has been the worst as my Doctor really isn’t supportive, for example I check my blood sugars at least three times every day, and record them in a book, he looks at the last page every time and makes a desiccsion on that, and it’s always the same, I spend 1hour waiting to see him, but then have a 5-10min appointment that’s always the same every time!

I've never liked the idea of being on an Insulin Pump, but my blood sugar hasn’t been under control lately and after around a week of research I actually brought myself round to wanting one. Today my Doctor told me I can't until I have four injections a day, and before that he said its best for me to get on a pump (without the initial 4injections). My high hopes have gone for the pump now.

My reason for writing this is as I know no one else that has Type1 diabetes, and I feel rather lost at the moment and would like the views of people that have been in or are in a similar situation. I just feel like it’s getting too much, and after todays appointment I feel worse!

Thanks for listening.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi db1

Sorry to hear you had a bad time of it, i must admit your doctor and nurse don't sound at all supportive. Ihave been a type1 for 27 years and i first started off on 2 injections a day which was fine, but when i had my kids i was told i had to do 4 injections a day which at the time i did'nt like the idea of but i done what i was told as i was pregnant. When i had my last baby i wanted to go back to 2 injections so the hospital said ok but it just did'nt seem to work any more my levels were all over the place, so i went back to the 4 injections and i must admit i felt as if i had more control over my sugar levels.
Then i lost my hypo awareness and was having hypos every other day my husband had to become my carer cos i can't be left for long because my levels just drop so quick.
I was then refered for a insulin pump which when i read up on it sounded great so i went for it thought i did'nt have nothing to lose the consultant said it will lower the amount of hypos. So i had my pump fitted 4 weeks ago and to be honest i could'nt get on with it i know everyone is different and what works for some does'nt work for others, well it did'nt work for me i was doing everything by the book carb counting the lot and ok the lows were not as bad as before but i had so many highs it worried me my blood was that high i felt violently sick it was never as high as that when i was injecting. But i thought i have to give it a chance but it just kept happening i was getting sugar levels of 30 plus and i just got fed along with the problems i had with getting the supplies delivered then yesterday was the final straw my BG levels went upto 32 and i felt terrible, so i told my hubby thats it i can't do this anymore, i rang my consultant's secretary and said to her im going back to 4 injections a day the pump is'nt working for me. Now i feel alot better in myself i feel as if im in control again, ok i will have to face the fact that im gonna have more hypos but i rather be low than to high. Sorry to go on but i think you have got to do what you feel happy with and to be honest yes 4 injections a day does give you better control but its your decision at the end of the day. I feel that your doctor and nurse had no reason to speak to you the way they did it was totally rude maybe you should complain about the way you were treated.

Good luck

Tracey167

db1

Hi Tracey167,
Thanks for your reply, I’m in a similar situation where I get low blood sugars very often too, actually every day before bed. After my previous sessions I’ve become even more aware of my hba1c. TO the point that I don’t really go out, I’ve been doing this for around 5months ((from my previous appointment to todays)… I haven’t got my hba1c yet as I had the blood test today, but both Doctor and Nurse said “there’s no point doing your hba1c, they’ll be rubbish”… That’s why I feel a pump maybe the answer for me, I guess I won’t find out until I actually try it. But this “4injection before pump rule” is really off putting, it may sound strange but I think of myself to be needle phobic! I’ve come to terms with two injections, but 4 for me just seems too much, and I guess the problem with some medical professionals is that they may never actually know the trials and tribulations that every diabetic goes through, and can generalised ideas for every diabetic which is wrong.
I wish I’d recorded the sessions, as the Doctor always misses parts of our conversation out in the report, but I’m going to go to a different clinic for my appointments now, and hopefully I’ll feel good after them!
I’m glad to hear you’ve decided what you would like to do, thanks again for your reply, wish you all the best, and good health :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm T2 & not on insulin, so I may get some stick from T1s, BUT this

(Link removed to other Forum)

The contributors to that thread are all T2, & the change of diet reduces BG spikes & medication. However, I learned the benefits of low carbing from Fergus on this forum, who is T1.