Split or move Levemir?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am having issues too with high reading upon waking with symptoms of lows in night. Advice from hospital is to keep increasing Levemir dose at night currently 12units . I feel it may be better to split dose or take it am instead ? Daytime readings mainly ok and whilst I find LCHF diet works best hospital say it's wrong ? My weight is 64kg and not an issue . I am confused about what to do any help gratefully received!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi I am having issues too with high reading upon waking with symptoms of lows in night. Advice from hospital is to keep increasing Levemir dose at night currently 12units . I feel it may be better to split dose or take it am instead ? Daytime readings mainly ok and whilst I find LCHF diet works best hospital say it's wrong ? My weight is 64kg and not an issue . I am confused about what to do any help gratefully received!!
If you are going low overnight and then high first thing, it sounds like the Levemir amount you have is too high and you are suffering from going low overnight, your liver kicking in and bringing you out, and then dawn phenomenon on top pushing you high in the morning.

If you are going low overnight, then you really shouldn't be increasing that insulin dose.

To confirm this you should undertake basal testing. http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If what I described is happening, I would suggest lowering your overnight insulin initially and then potentially splitting your insulin into two doses.Are you sure there is no rapid acting insulin from a late meal involved?

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'd say most people on levemir split the dose, its profile is around 18 hours max. Failing that ask to change to Lantus or you could enquire about the new basal insulin called Tresiba.

AchtungJonny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had very similar issues with Levemir and my dietician advised me to split my dosage. Instead of 12 at night I now have 10 and 6 in the morning with my Novo Rapid. I've very recently switched to DAFNE and the splitting really had a positive impact.