spots on head

Ted123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 1 diabetes for nearly 30 years. Recently I have started getting watery blisters type really sore spots on my head. they are really itchy and leave my head in some mess. Anybody any ideas on how to help this condition

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Ted123

What has your Dr said about these spots? I'm sure they can prescribe something to relieve the itching and hopefully clear the condition up.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ted123 :)

Definitely see your doctor and get a diagnosis hopefully as well as some treatment.

Do let us know what it turns out to be, and I hope you soon feel more comfortable :)

Ted123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been to see doctor. prescribed tablets I took for weeks which done nothing. The best thing I have been given is a pink hair shampoo which really helps. but it only takes the itching away for a short period of time I'm afraid.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would go back and say that the tablets aren't helping, perhaps they can prescribe an alternative which may eventually clear the scalp. Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
This sounds rather familiar. I'm obviously not a doc, but someone very close to me has diabetes and had something similar when they had the beginning of psoriasis. I think that pink shampoo might be Nizoral, it is good, but short lived. Did the doc not give a suggestion as to what it might be?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That sounds to me very much like Psoriasis @Ted123. I've head scalp psoriasis on and off all my life and although it doesn't end up in massive watery blisters, it does create small, wet scabs. Nizoral was very effective for me. The other thing I've found that really helps is other medicated shampoos. When it flairs up I use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo and the rest of the time Vosene. They use coal tar extract and I've found they really help.

There is a correlation between type 1 and psoriasis as there is a genetic autoimmune link: https://source.wustl.edu/2008/04/researchers-uncover-new-genetic-links-to-psoriasis/