Started Metformin a couple of weeks ago

GemGar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Marmite. Most fish. Large crowds. Parties.
I finally got to start Metformin. Was a bit disappointed by the lack of the not so nice side effects that the diabetes nurse, the pharmacist and my parents told me that I would get! Also bought a glucose monitor from Amazon. It has a hypo alert as well as helpful images at the bottom of an apple and an eaten apple. I never expected the hypo one to go off, but it did last night. What's strange is that I didn't have any symptoms that I've read about re hypos. I just like to check my levels a couple of times a day (joys of working nights). I hadn't eaten for a couple of hours. Does this mean I can start carrying around a small chocolate bar/bag of sweets in case it drops again? (It only went to 3.8)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally got to start Metformin. Was a bit disappointed by the lack of the not so nice side effects that the diabetes nurse, the pharmacist and my parents told me that I would get! Also bought a glucose monitor from Amazon. It has a hypo alert as well as helpful images at the bottom of an apple and an eaten apple. I never expected the hypo one to go off, but it did last night. What's strange is that I didn't have any symptoms that I've read about re hypos. I just like to check my levels a couple of times a day (joys of working nights). I hadn't eaten for a couple of hours. Does this mean I can start carrying around a small chocolate bar/bag of sweets in case it drops again? (It only went to 3.8)
You won't go hypo on metformin... No risk of a coma with that. And when a monitor goes off at night, there's a possibility you were laying on it, so it doesn't get the reading right. A finger prick could tell you whether that's what went on or if you were really low.

Far as hypo treatments go, you won't need one... But personally, I'm all for a (dark) chocolate bar. No necessity for it when it comes to hypo's, but one might need chocolate for whatever other reason. ;)

GemGar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You won't go hypo on metformin... No risk of a coma with that. And when a monitor goes off at night, there's a possibility you were laying on it, so it doesn't get the reading right. A finger prick could tell you whether that's what went on or if you were really low.

Far as hypo treatments go, you won't need one... But personally, I'm all for a (dark) chocolate bar. No necessity for it when it comes to hypo's, but one might need chocolate for whatever other reason. ;)
No I know the Metformin doesn't cause hypos. I was sitting upright when I did the finger prick. I don't have a monitor that I wear. I have dark chocolate in the fridge, but I'm kinda hoping for an excuse to buy myself a nice tasting chocolate bar. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate. I've got my childhood to blame for that

Reactions: Hezzal

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I know the Metformin doesn't cause hypos. I was sitting upright when I did the finger prick. I don't have a monitor that I wear. I have dark chocolate in the fridge, but I'm kinda hoping for an excuse to buy myself a nice tasting chocolate bar. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate. I've got my childhood to blame for that
I used to have sugar with a bit of coffee. Now I drink anything black. As you go along, your sense of taste will change, so eventually, an extra dark bar'll be much more tolerable. In the meantime though, there are bars sweetened with stevia for instance.... And a proper chocolatier might well have sugar free bonbons. Worth doing a google! ;)

Reactions: fredkwok

GemGar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to have sugar with a bit of coffee. Now I drink anything black. As you go along, your sense of taste will change, so eventually, an extra dark bar'll be much more tolerable. In the meantime though, there are bars sweetened with stevia for instance.... And a proper chocolatier might well have sugar free bonbons. Worth doing a google! ;)
I bought myself a 100% dark chocolate bar. It was horrible. Getting slowly used to other dark chocolate though

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought myself a 100% dark chocolate bar. It was horrible. Getting slowly used to other dark chocolate though

Motezumas 100% with chocolate niblets. Absolute favourite of mine. A couple of bits a day after lunch. Big treat as it’s expensive.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Straight in at 100!? Okay, yeah, that's.... Brave. ;) Try 85% first, that's possibly more doable. ;)

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn’t be disappointed about the lack of side effects! I didn’t get any from Metformin for 2 or 3 weeks. I’d begun to think they were overhyped when it happened, very suddenly & explosively. Not nice at all. It’s happened since but not often & I now recognise the onset so can run for cover, no pun intended.

Difficult to understand what is triggering it, there doesn’t seem to be any food or conditions that are in common when it happens.

Yet to see whether it’s having the desired effect on BG, as I’ve yet to have 6 month review.

Hezzal

Weirdly enough I disliked dark chocolate too…didn’t see the point of it! But then I came off all sugars and didn’t replace with sweeteners and it totally recalibrated my sweet tooth to the point where dark choc is actually as nice now as milk choc used to be!

Reactions: Outlier