Started on the insight today!

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today was go live! Had two pump nurses with me to get me started, ate some breakfast at the hospital (took my own though :joyful:) and then home, where I hypo'd a couple of hours later, could see it coming on the libre but left it too late in the end, but not the end of the world.
(I managed to hypo last night at 3am even though I'd given half my dose of basal in preparation for today, not sure why that happened, bizarre!)
Anyway, I'm loving it so far, I will switch basal profiles tomorrow if I keep going low, but I am LOVING not having to inject!
So a big thank you to @Snapsy for your support and general enthusiasm on all things insight! and also to @Medusa41 for your support and input. I've read lots of posts from both of you which have been hugely reassuring & helpful.
My DSN's have been fantastic, one of them phoned me this afternoon to see how I was getting on, calling me again tomorrow and Friday. She's also given me her personal mobile in case I need her at the weekend. Can't ask for more than that!
So, next stage is to see how I get on sleeping with it without getting in a tangle! :D

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers! Sorry quick question!
Does the handset show how much insulin I have on board like the libre does? I can't find it if it does and I'm currently BG 5 sloping downwards, so wouldn't mind seeing the duration left?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, sadly not @Claire007 (unless I'm massively missing something), BUT if you were to tell it you want to have a bolus - don't follow through the whole process of delivering insulin - you're just looking! - and already have correction insulin on board (as opposed to carb insulin, if you see what I mean) it will tell you, on the top left when it does the working out bit, how much of the correction is still in you. Your bolus/carb ratio that you've set, together with the active time of the Novorapid, would in a perfect world mean that the calculator thinks it's done the maths correctly. As we all know though, this is the diabetes rollercoaster we're riding!

If you're not sure, and as it's such early days, I'd recommend testing (or Libre scanning at least) very frequently to check that arrow's not still heading south, and have a carby snack.

For what it's worth, at this time of day (a couple of hours after supper, half an hour before bed) my own policy with 5 and a down arrow is to make myself a low carb hot chocolate (6g CHO) and set a TBR of 50% for an hour. But I have to say it took me a long while before I gained confidence in TBR-setting, so in your position I'd probably go for a snack on this occasion.

@Gaz-M and @Medusa41 am I right with the IoB question? Suddenly I don't feel confident with what I'm talking about......!

You'll find yourself making adjustments to your basal rate (you'll find basal rate testing much less arduous because of your Libre) over the next few days (and weeks), and your bolus ratios are also likely to need tweaking. Be kind to yourself, enjoy the ride and keep testing! Have glucose to hand.

:happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yes your right @Snapsy, if you test your BS and do a bolus the handset will adjust your Bolus amount with your insulin onboard. In the early stages of starting a pump I had to adjust mine by quite alot as the Novo Rapid does or did hit me harder than my Basal Insulin, @Claire007 if you can afford the Libre for the first month it would benefit you so much with basal testing as you will save on your sleep and see where your bloods are dropping or rising. Anything else just ask, sorry I'am away to bed but will reply as soon as I'm finished work tomorrow if I can help in any way. P.S if you have an induction hob and are using it I would suggest you put your pump on your belt clip or pouch and move it to your lower back area as this could trigger an E57 error reading.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks snapsy, it's come up,of its own accord to 7, I have biccies by the bed!
I do like the gingerbread man on the libre showing IOB, always handy! I'll try not to run before I can walk with the pump

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Gaz-M , I do use the libre but I've not been putting carbs/insulin into it today, I've just been using the pump handset

I read a previous thread where you'd written about the induction hob! Who'd have thought!? Fortunately I'm cooking on gas ⛽

Night all

Reactions: Gaz-M and Snapsy

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Claire007 - fantastic news. You sound like you're doing a fab job already The Libre alongside it as @Gaz-M says will be extremely beneficial for the first month. Yes @Snapsy - totally right. Hope your first night with the pump goes smoothly

Reactions: Snapsy

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi @Claire007,
Great to hear your successful transfer, I'm hoping to be in the same position on the 3rd April and im interested in what you mentioned about using the Libre.

I've been looking at CGM but cant afford to permanently fund it and the hospital doesn't support it, hence why I chose the Accucheck Insight as this pump has other features than other CGM devices that I believe will assist more with my control.

However I like the idea of getting a Libre Starter Pack for the initial transfer period onto the pump and was curious how accurate/reliable the Libre actually is and how long the starter pack will actually last before the sensors die out?

Many thanks for any advise.

Julian

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Julian_Hands , the Libre starter pack contains the reader and two sensors. Each sensor is worn for 14 days continuously, after which time it stops working. So the starter pack will last either four weeks or two X two-week stretches. You only need one reader, and the reader doesn't expire, so once you gave the starter pack and if you want to then continue all you need to buy is sensors. There is an app though which you can install in your phone instead of getting the reader, which could be a cost saving to you. I don't have experience of that though. Remember to tick the VAT exemption box on your online order as that saves you money on the advertised price.

When I started on my pump I didn't have the Libre, so I did all my basal rate testing, pre and post bolus testing and 'reassurance' testing with fingerpricks, which was eminently doable although not exactly fun with the basal testing every two hours including overnight! But it was fine. A few months after starting on the pump I got hold of the Libre, and I find it an excellent accompaniment to the pump.

There are loads and loads of threads about the Libre on the blood glucose monitoring subforum - have a trawl through. Mine has been unproblematic - I don't necessarily rely 100% on the numbers all the time, but the graph and the trend arrows are invaluable.

I had no choice as to which pump I could have, but I love my Insight!

:)

Reactions: Julian_Hands

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a really good night. Went to bed with a BG of 10.7. I didn't correct as I wanted plenty of wiggle room as it was the first night. Woke up with a BG of 10.7 and it had stayed in a straight line on the libre all night!
Woke up a few times to feel for the pump but other than that, a great night.
I'd say the libre is invaluable especially at first @Julian_Hands. Great for over night testing and to see if your sailing up or down when you start on the pump with new insulin.
If you can, get going on the libre before you get the pump then you're not learning two pieces of tech at once and it might help you tune your basal rate prior to pump start.

Reactions: Julian_Hands

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to ask a quick question! I'm changing my cannula today. Can I just check I've got this right?
Insert new cannula
Go to pump> fill cannula
Attach
Remove old cannula once sure everything is hunky dory?

It's the pump bit I'm unsure of as all the instructions take you from the top as if you're changing the infusion set but I only want to change the cannula. Not sure if I attach then tell the pump to fill or other way round.

Sorry to pester! @Snapsy @Medusa41

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Claire007 - if it's the cannula only you just change it & clip it back in without telling the pump anything. If you're changing the whole infusion set you would need to fill it. Hope that makes sense. You know when you question yourself - that's tight isn't it @Snapsy? Hope that's all cool & you're liking it!

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Medusa41, I'm going to pop the new one in and just double check when my DSN calls me later I think before I swap over.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Claire007 and @Medusa41 ,

I insert the new cannula, attach, then 'fill cannula', then hit 'start pump'.

If it's a new cannula, it's empty of insulin and needs to be filled.

If you're changing the tubing but not the cannula, the cannula is already full of insulin and does not need to be filled.

Replaced my cannula this morning. And forgot to hit start pump when I'd done it. Doh!

:banghead:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you change the canula you need to tell the pump to fill it after changing. under cartridge and infusion set - full cannula :)

opps duplicate

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry guys - I misunderstood earlier. I was thinking about the little cannula that you attach wth the link assist. I do this every 2-3 days without fiddling with tubing & just click it back in. I agree if you're changing whole thing you need to fill. Doh

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry guys - I misunderstood earlier. I was thinking about the little cannula that you attach wth the link assist. I do this every 2-3 days without fiddling with tubing & just click it back in. I agree if you're changing whole thing you need to fill. Doh

We are talking about the little canula you attach with the link assist ?, you really do need to fill this for each new one