Starting IVF in 3 Weeks

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

after what seems like a lifetime, me and hubs start IVF just before Christmas. And am freaking out about how I'm going to manage if we get lucky (fingers crossed). Which is ridiculous, as had so long to plan, and get everything in place. Is this normal?!

Have severely reduced vision in one eye due to retinopathy, stable in the other eye, so getting the go ahead for pregnancy was 'well, we'll see when you come back to clinic in xx months' - so it always seemed on the horizon, rather than real.

Finally, we're at that point. And my normal self assurance has evaporated. The thought of all the sudden hypos scare the heck out of me. The thought of highs damaging the baby do too.

I've been type 1 for nearly 31 years. HbA1c currently 5.6. On a pump.

All advice appreciated. Thanks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your HbA1C is very good :) Although pregnancy with diabetes is hard work, it's perfectly do-able :) There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do as well as any lady here :)

I know the stress of IVF is possibly increasing your anxiety, but don't let it! I had IVF and, believe me, pregnancy was fine after all that hassle!

Forewarned is fore-armed, as far as hypos go. Test, test and test - that was my motto. Also, keep Lucozade or similar in every room . It works more quickly than glucose tablets or sweets.

There's a useful chart in Think Like A Pancreas showing probable insulin needs in pregnancy at each stage. I found that helpful.

Remember the IVF drugs might mess up your sugars a bit, so watch out for that.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's quite normal to feel a bit worried when pregnancy become more of a reality. We had tried for two years to get pregnant and when I finally was I freaked out a bit! However now I'm 25 weeks I am somewhat calmer.

As azure said you need to test. A lot. I'd suggest testing now to see what your 1&2 hour after eating levels are and see if you can get them to the recommended readings. Then you can start making some adjustments now if needed. Also writing down your results will be helpful to find patterns, or to ask for help from your consultant / DSN to get them correct.

I also found I need to spread my carbs a bit throughout the day as if I eat loads at once my sugar is harder to control. So I tend to have some snacks between meals.

Good luck with the IVF!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@kazC Exciting times ahead for you - I have had 3 cycles of IVF this year and was terrified before starting the first one. With hindsight I have to say I have no idea what I was so scared of - the drugs were okay and didn't cause me too many side effects and I was very well looked after all the way through by my clinic. Which clinic are you with?
IVF is an amazing thing and I am happy that we got the possibility to have treatment - I am also more than delighted to say that I am currently 4.5 weeks pregnant with one of our embryos so it can work! Best of luck to you for your treatment and if you have any questions please give me a shout! xx

Reactions: 8 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all

after what seems like a lifetime, me and hubs start IVF just before Christmas. And am freaking out about how I'm going to manage if we get lucky (fingers crossed). Which is ridiculous, as had so long to plan, and get everything in place. Is this normal?!

Have severely reduced vision in one eye due to retinopathy, stable in the other eye, so getting the go ahead for pregnancy was 'well, we'll see when you come back to clinic in xx months' - so it always seemed on the horizon, rather than real.

Finally, we're at that point. And my normal self assurance has evaporated. The thought of all the sudden hypos scare the heck out of me. The thought of highs damaging the baby do too.

I've been type 1 for nearly 31 years. HbA1c currently 5.6. On a pump.

All advice appreciated. Thanks.

@kazC - my partner has been on a very similar journey. I can't offer much real help other than to say I've been there to see the stresses and strains that come with IVF. (I made the solutions for her to inject at 6.45am and 6.45pm every day for 23 days!) In honesty, if you're not scared of injections, you've nothing to worry about. It's more the emotional aspect that's tricky - so if your partner is a good listener, that'll help :) And, according to my wife, egg retrieval was the most painful part of it. It's worth it in the end. Best of luck and if there's anything I can help with, please let me know :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@kazC Exciting times ahead for you - I have had 3 cycles of IVF this year and was terrified before starting the first one. With hindsight I have to say I have no idea what I was so scared of - the drugs were okay and didn't cause me too many side effects and I was very well looked after all the way through by my clinic. Which clinic are you with?
IVF is an amazing thing and I am happy that we got the possibility to have treatment - I am also more than delighted to say that I am currently 4.5 weeks pregnant with one of our embryos so it can work! Best of luck to you for your treatment and if you have any questions please give me a shout! xx

Fantastic :)

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, thanks for your posts and words of encouragement. it has put my mind at rest a bit hearing that others have done it, and done it/doing it well :) I have a great diabetes team, too, so I know I have them there to help.

Keeping everything crossed that the cycle works. Trying not to get our hopes up, but that's tough. Hubby is more guarded, telling me not to get carried away.

My diabetes consultant has told me to be on the ball with testing when I start the drugs, as the effects can be unpredictable.

Would love to be posting in here in a few months with some baby on the way news!

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's fantastic news! You must be over the moon. It's so amazing what can be done nowadays, and there are even more advances in the pipeline.

We're with Create Fertility in South London. We're lucky to have our one NHS-funded cycle here and, if needed, we will do more privately with them. They are so encouraging. I was concerned time was ticking a bit with my age (36 in March) but they weren't fazed at all, saying I was one of their younger ones! We've been really lucky in terms of waiting - first fertility clinic appointment was at end of March. I know others aren't so fortunate, and that must be hell.

Best of luck with your pregnancy xx

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
:)
That's fantastic news! You must be over the moon. It's so amazing what can be done nowadays, and there are even more advances in the pipeline.

We're with Create Fertility in South London. We're lucky to have our one NHS-funded cycle here and, if needed, we will do more privately with them. They are so encouraging. I was concerned time was ticking a bit with my age (36 in March) but they weren't fazed at all, saying I was one of their younger ones! We've been really lucky in terms of waiting - first fertility clinic appointment was at end of March. I know others aren't so fortunate, and that must be hell.

Best of luck with your pregnancy xx

Thanks very much @kazC! I am but at the same time I'm trying to not get carried away as we have been at this point before (and then unfortunately lost our baby at 6 weeks :(). We have our first scan on 22nd Dec so hopefully that'll make it the best Christmas ever. We're with CARE in Manchester and they are fab. I heard loads of good things about Create too :). Don't worry about being 36 - I'm 38 and according to the consultants not old at all. During all my cycles I was very lucky that my sugars were fine and not affected at all which I was a bit nervous about as well before I started. For this cycle they have put me on steroids to help prevent miscarrying and I had to crank my insulin up (think I'm running on 200% basal) but I was prepared for that and luckily it didn't take too long to work the right rates out :) xx