Starving myself and confusion

maxizone

Following on from what was gestational diabetes to what is now T2 diabetes, I am now at a point where I realise I have recently been starving myself in an effort to lower my blood sugar levels and body weight and causing myself damage to the point where I have been becoming anxious, extremely exhausted after intense daily exercise, confused, and exhibiting hypo symptoms. I was restricting all my portions of food drastically - tiny carb amounts, no sugar, eating next to nothing really. I lost quite a bit of weight in the process over 3 weeks and had hoped that it would make the blood sugar levels come down quickly without the need for medication (I had been put onto insulin during my pregnancy without the option of trying diet control alone - not sure if this would have increased my insulin resistance?)

The result is that I think it has really been making me go slightly mad in the process with me not being able to think clearly, having a sort of brain fog and feeling like I've been losing the plot. I am now waiting to be put on metformin from tomorrow - My blood sugar levels are still elevated. All this from starving myself and not even realising what I was doing through the increased confusion.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does lack of information on how to deal with diabetes result in such behaviour? I wasn't given a care plan when I left the hospital after the birth of my baby. Maybe some of this could have been avoided as I feel very silly myself with a lot of it being self inflicted.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This information that Sue and I hand out may be of some use to you........

Here is the advice that Ken and I, as Forum Monitors, usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

For more information on CARBOHYDRATE see here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20306&start=0

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

For TIPS FOR STRIPS see here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002&start=0

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do at least 30 minutes moderate exercise a day, it can be split into 10 min sessions to start with. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Finally a few QUESTIONS TO ASK AT DIABETES CLINIC.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091&start=0

Ken / Sue

C

catherinecherub

Hi maxizone, a warm welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so rotten.

There is no quick fix for managing diabetes and starving yourself brings more problems as you have clearly witnessed.

Use the excellent advice that Cugila has given you and take it steady, it wont happen overnight. You need to be in good health for your family without a starvation diet. Regular meals and exercise is the best way forward.

It is true that diabetes education is sadly lacking for some diabetics and floundering, as you have been, is not the best way forward. You will learn a lot here from other people who have been in the same boat as you.

Your best friend is your meter and it will decide the right eating plan for you

Ask as many questions as you like, we have all been in your position and will help as best we can.

maxizone

This is seriously new territory for me, thanks for the advice. I will be keeping a close eye on this forum. The whole experience so far has been scary.

purplefairy

Hi maxizone
wellcome

You will find a wealth of information on this forum. but more than that you will get lots support and advice.

Unfortunately some doctors and nurses make us even more confused. I have 2 nurses and the diabetic clinic and both tell me different things. thats where the forum came in handy.

life is difficult enough, so changing habits and a lifestyle that you have had all your life isn't easy.

hope you feel better soon.

roxy44

Hi Maxizone,

i really know how you are feeling i was diagnosed just over a week ago, and before i didnt give diabetes much thought...now i'm consumed with it, trying to eat the right things yet not knowing what they are!!,

testing my blood, and wonder why the same food rises it when last time it didnt , to be honest i cant think straight at the moment because of diabetes being at the front on my mind....testing to find out if i am..then more tests to check my pulses and pnumoneo jabs and cholestral being checked...got my appointment for the eye test!!!! :shock:

although i know its great i am being checked....but i feel like shouting STOP!!! let me have a break from it...i feel i have eaten well untill i take my bloods!!
crave something sweet but scared to... i feel like i have already poisened myself so i cant carry on eating the things i need to eat...but what do i eat!!?? Arrrrgggggg!!

all my time is taken up with whats for breakfast, lunch , dinner. etc...then i read about how it effects your kidneys, heart, eyes!!! and i think ..this is no joke..if i dont do this i will die young!!! may seem dramatic but its how i feel at the moment...i use to think it was all about not eating sweets!!...wrong!!..
sorry to rant, but maybe you feel the saame...feel like you have this new life thrown on you and dont know what to do with it!
your not alone
xx

maxizone

Thanks everyone, it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this.
It's really easy to get consumed with what is literally a life changing condition.

At the moment just thinking about what foods I can eat, the planning, the pricking, considering how to deal with hypos all over again, what's in the fridge, what's in the cupboard, timing meals, portions etc etc is enough to make me crazy. Let alone trying to recover from literal starvation and exhaustion.

I'm realising that I need to try and relax. One day at a time. I'm determined not to let this thing beat me.

roxy44

i have just had some low fat custard with ornage segments..and 3 pieces of dark chocolate...it certianly as helped me :D

god did i need that!!