Statins Increase for diabetics??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Either take statins as prescribed, or get GP to record your refusal to take them. GP gets bonus; NHS doesn't waste money on drugs that are dispensed but not used.

Good point... If you don't tolerate them, don't just chuck them away or not order them on scripts...

- gp's should report to medical files
- gps should report to mhra

AND... they would NOT (yes I'm shouting!) get paid their bonus's for prescribing...

Very good point, hadn't occurred to me!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would love to know what financial incentives there are for Doctors to prescribe Statins.
Two Doctors at my practice swear blind the pains I get in my shoulder are because of a fozen shoulder, not Statins.

When I leave the Statins off my aches & pains virtually disappear, go figure !

Its all in QOF/DES payment schemes.. Will try to find out. Under FOI 2000 we should be anle to ask NICE/QOF/DES/NHS England for this information...

Another good point!!

Reactions: 2 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you are all prescribed Statins even though you may not ingest them, I will be the one to benefit with increased dividends on my Pharmaceutical shares.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
that's good enough then why take them if not needed :cool:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
There are a few who can not tolerate these drugs and according to some who suffer from Diabetes they are saying it highers their blood sugar levels which is more dangerous in the long run I ask?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dr Hillary on Steve Wright today intersting talk on statins...
Just that he mentioned the NICE wanting more people on them.. He didn't agree. He also for a change mentioned side effects and changing diet instead!!!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I still am muddled on the subject of statins "should we take or should we not" :meh:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Hillary on Steve Wright today intersting talk on statins...
Just that he mentioned the NICE wanting more people on them.. He didn't agree. He also for a change mentioned side effects and changing diet instead!!!
Link please DD?

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still am muddled on the subject of statins "should we take or should we not" :meh:

i honestly think that there is no clear answer to this & it depends on each individual's medical condition.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a link which I posted on another thread this morning. It discusses the myths surrounding cholesterol. It's an interesting read if anyone wants to know more on the subject.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/486704

Free download available in various formats including PDF and Kindle

Thanks Zand, I was looking for this. Apparently he just decided to make this book available free of charge. He seems to be über-reliable and have a v high reputation - nobody seems to savage him.

mophead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
For anyone with high blood pressure they shouldn't taken statins and the drug Amlodipine.
Derek
Why is that and what is your evidence to support your statement.As a user of both drugs without side effects for a number of yearsI am interested to know the basis for your comment.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Look up Statins/Amlodipine on google. Many GPs have stopped prescribing them both (together).
I would not touch Amlodipine with a bargepole. I was on it for years and it caused arthritis which stopped when I stopped taking it.
I guess you are just lucky.
It can amplify the effects of Simvistatin and cause kidney and muscle problems.
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
Look up Statins/Amlodipine on google. Many GPs have stopped prescribing them both (together).
I would not touch Amlodipine with a bargepole. I was on it for years and it caused arthritis which stopped when I stopped taking it.
I guess you are just lucky.
It can amplify the effects of Simvistatin and cause kidney and muscle problems.
Derek
I have refused to take statins - I had so much trouble with headaches and muscular and joint pain in my arms and legs. At one time I couldn't even lift my arms.
I was talking to a nurse friend of mine and she told me "That we know our bodies better than any doctor or nurse", (I'm not being derogatory here but I think she's right).
So when I took myself off the statins within 2-3 months all the pain, headaches had gone, and life went back to normal

Reactions: 4 people

VFRMan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After taking 20mg statins for a couple of years without any issues I suffered a heart attack, then prescribed 80mg ! All fine for a year then awful shoulder pain & muscle ache in the same side, left arm.

Doctor says frozen shoulder, I might agree with that but the muscle pain is due to the statins, how do I know ? Stop the statin & the muscle pain goes away.

How can medical ethics allow extra pay for prescribing statins ? This is wide open to abuse, there's more to this than the public know about.

Statins didn't prevent my heart attack.

Same story with me but pain was in the thighs and I lost muscle mass in my left arm, pipe cleaner doses such as 80 mg are dangerous but 20mg was OK

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How many of us are now really going to have battles with GPs when we don't want statins

"NICE has given the green light to a new QOF indicator rewarding practices for how many patients they treat with statins at the 10% primary prevention threshold, despite unease among GP members on the independent advisory panel.
The introduction of the 10% threshold for prescribing statins to patients newly diagnosed diabetes and hypertension was discussed this afternoon at the first meeting of the newly convened QOF committee.
The indicator will now be put forward for GPC and NHS Employers to negotiate its introduction into the contract for 2015/16."
I have heard this elsewhere and it fills me with fear. My GP gave me one test that came back just in the diabetic range and was talking about statins on the phone call before she'd even seen me. She hasnt done a 2nd test and took a bit of persuading not to give me statins, metformin and blood pressure meds. I have been 2 weeks on the LCHF diet along with 16/8 IF and I have lost 6lbs but more importantly, I got a BG meter today and all my results are in the normal range. I accept that I need to carry on and that if I had been eating loads of carbs the result would have been higher but I could have been on all those meds now and would probably be unable to go to work, last time I took BP meds i came to a complete standstill!! Oh and my BP is down too.

I have decided not to go to the DESMOND course as I have lost all faith in the medical profession. My employers have arranged for me to see their own Occ Health instead and i have private healthcare where i do have more of a say in how I am treated.

Reading some of these posts and other research i have done leaves me feeling appalled at the lack of understanding i.e how carbs affect BS. This is basic stuff that is being ignored and i wonder if anyone on here has done anything to raise awareness? How many others are there out there who are blindly following their doctors orders. Evidently the biggest killer of humans right now in the world is prescribed medication!

Last edited by a moderator: