Statins raising blood sugars.

rag01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Type 2 diet controlled for 21 years: no drugs or insulin taken at any time.

Just started on a course of Statins as Cholesterol is creeping up due to low carb high fat diet over many years.

My "waking" blood sugars have gone from 6.5 to 8.0 since starting Statins.

Anyone else in "same" situation: welcome comments.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I ditched statins 15 yrs ago due to muscle wasteage and muscle pain which was stopping me from exercising - not great as i was (and am) diet and exercise controlled T2. For a few years I tried to control my cholesterol by avoiding fats in my diet, but with limited success. However when I started low-carb high-fat my cholesterol levels plummeted and I lost a few kilogrammes too without effort, and my Hba1c improved.
Good luck

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My "waking" blood sugars have gone from 6.5 to 8.0 since starting Statins
Statins are well known for raising blood sugar levels. I can’t understand why GPs prescribe them to diabetics when there are other drugs that will help with cholesterol whilst not raising blood sugars. Well having said that, I think I do know why they prescribe them, it’s because they are cheaper than the alternatives!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am on Statins and neve realised these could be raising your levels so will find out if I cna stop taking them.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Just started on a course of Statins as Cholesterol is creeping up due to low carb high fat diet over many years.

Statins are often reported to raise blood glucose. The Handbook of Diabetes indicates that statins reduce cholesterol because statins interfere with the liver's ability to make cholesterol (about 80% of cholesterol is made by the liver) rather than doing anything about ingested fats.

I have found that my total cholesterol levels (as estimated) have fallen by around 18% while on 20g carb/day. This is not anything particularly significant for me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I was diagnosed 11 years ago with an hba1c of 48 so just on the cusp of being diabetic. I was told by my DN that ‘all diabetics should be on statins’ so I took them and within 6 months my hba1c increased to 54. Due to other side effects such as muscle aches, dizzy spells and sleep problems I stopped taking them with my GPs consent. 6 months later my hba1c had reduced to 43 and has remained at non diabetic levels for 10 years. My GP has annotated my records as being ‘statin intolerant’ as we don’t want the risk of it happening again.