Statins

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've recently had my first DN review visit since my original diagnosis in January of this year.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that:

1. My A1c is now down to 6.3 from 11.2 previously
2. My cholesterol is 4 - no idea what it was previously, they never told me
3. My blood pressure is normal

So far so good and all positive. However, just as I got up to leave she suggested that when we next meet in October we will discuss me going onto statins. :shock: She mentioned something about my age (49 next birthday).

I'm trying to resist going onto ANY meds for as long as possible; are there any nasty side effects with statins?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There many previous subjects on the Forum in which Statin's are discussed or mentioned, including the side effects.....or not.... as the case may be of the various Statin's. Do a search.....top right.

Here is a link to a very recent one about Pro's and Con's of Statin's.......

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15020&start=0&hilit=statins

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Ken,

In fairness I did actually do that before making the post; reason being the first page of the search only came up with the word "statins" in the body of various posts about other things. The postings entitled "the pros and cons of statins" didn't show up until page two (I've just done the search again).

Me, like most people, rarely search past the first page of Google, etc, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the link; lots to digest therein. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I did wonder why you never found it...... :?

For the benefit of all members.......Just use the Forum's search feature. It seems not everybody knows how to use it. That then throws up all the Forum posts about it, page 1 of 63 pages. 934 matches about Statin's as here providing you insert the keyword in the box, either top right or in this: As you found , what you wanted was only on page 2. You have to persevere.......you can also filter search within those results.

search.php

Ken

Joshman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ardberg

Well done on your recent test results :D I was diagnosed with T2 in Feb and put on Simvastatin straight away without any discussion. Within a month my cholesterol came down from 5.6 to 2.1 which seemed excessively low to me. I think around 4 is regarded as normal for most people but my GP says for long term control of a diabetics general health, he would like to see my cholesterol levels at around 3.

However, a couple of days after starting on Simvastatin, I experienced a couple of side effects, constipation and small red acne spots, mainly on my forehead. The doctor didn't take it seriously at first, said it could down to a number of factors and to give it a few more weeks. The constipation persisted and laxatives didn't have much effect. The acne would settle down after a week or so but then flare up again and has left permanent faint marks on my forehead. When I stopped taking the statin, the symptoms cleared up. I went back to the doc and he suggested trying me on the lowest available dose. Again, a couple of days later the constipation was back and after a few more days, so was the acne.

The GP finally agreed that Simvastatin wasn't for me. Constipation is a recognised side-effect but not very common and apparently acne is even rarer. He's now put me on Atorvastatin and admitted that the only reason he didn't put me on it sooner was because it's a much more expensive drug than Simvastatin. He advised me to take it every other day instead of every day, firstly to allow my body to get used to it, and secondly to help keep the costs down!!

There's an on-going debate about statins, not just on this forum but elsewhere too. Some people swear by them, others believe they do more harm than good. I don't yet know where I stand on the subject. I've only just started on Atorvastatin so don't know if there's going to be any side effects. I'm not opposed to taking a tablet that will lower my bad cholesterol levels but then I'm still learning and there are many people out there who know a whole lot more than I do on the topic.

For me, becoming a diabetic has been a real shocker and it's forced me to have a good hard look at myself. I think I've been lucky compared to some other people as it seems the condition was discovered whilst in it's early stages, although the doctors did seem keen to put me on every medication possible. At first I tried making drastic changes to my diet but it was a real struggle. So now I'm taking small steps one at a time but my overall goal is to improve my diet and general lifestyle to the point where I can come off some, if not all, of the meds I'm currently on. There are many people on this forum who have achieved that and I find their stories positively inspiring.

Ultimately, whether you decide to take statins or not, it has to be your choice. A level of 4 isn't considered high. If you don't want to take statins, try reducing your cholesterol levels through diet and exercise. If you can get it nearer to 3, then I don't see how the doctor can insist you take statins. Or maybe, use statins for a couple of months to get the ball rolling until you can make the dietary changes required to keep your cholesterol around the 3 mark.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks joshman.

I'm still diet only but have never gotten around to the exercise bit. :oops:

Should really start working on that six pack abdominal region for the beach this summer.

It's in there somewhere. :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ARDBEG
I was prescribed Statins when first diagnosed DB .I had not found this site then .I googled statins and ploughed my way through. I decided not to take the statins but I do take a plant sterol called Lestrin .My chol has come down from7.9 -4.2 so I am happy with that I hope to get it down further with exercise.
CAROL

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Carol,

I had a good look at those on various websites today and see they cost about £10 for a months supply. I'm determined to keep off meds but so far I'm taking 2 x Acai berry and 2 x Benfotamine capsules per day. If I start taking 2 of these ones as well I'll be like a walking pill box. :wink:

No doubt I will buy them and try them. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Staying off meds....... AND ......taking alternative medications.......bit of a paradox there I think. Benfotiamine is an artificial drug. Nothing natural there. No probs with the berries though ??? :?

Ken

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ardbeg said:
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that:

1. My A1c is now down to 6.3 from 11.2 previously
2. My cholesterol is 4 - no idea what it was previously, they never told me
3. My blood pressure is normal

Congratulations on your latest results :)

My latest results list my cholesterol at 3.9 so not a million miles from your own but no one has mentioned statins to me. And whilst I have no problem with taking prescribed drugs when needed I would not be happy taking statins after everything I have read and heard about them.

I think its strange that some GP's are keener than others to prescribe statins.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
cugila said:
Staying off meds....... AND ......taking alternative medications.......bit of a paradox there I think. Benfotiamine is an artificial drug. Nothing natural there. No probs with the berries though ??? :?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I recall a post a while back on here from someone saying they get a benfotamaine type drug on prescription. I'm going to see my GP next week so it would be handy to know the clinical name of this drug.

Any ideas anyone?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I believe it is Thiamin....Vit B1. I f you don't have a deficiency you might not get it. Most usually need a blood test to confirm this. Possibly liver function too.

A positive diagnosis test for thiamine deficiency can be ascertained by measuring the activity of the enzyme transketolase in erythrocytes. Thiamine can also be seen directly in whole blood following the conversion of thiamine to a fluorescent thiochrome derivative. However, this test may not reveal the deficiency in diabetic patients.

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Ken.

Trouble is if they run a blood test on me now I probably wont have a deficiency as I've been taking Benfotamaine for 3 or 4 months now. :?

I'll ask him anyway; "shy bairns get nowt" as they say "up North" :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken
I fully agree with you about taking meds but my cholesterol reduced well after taking Lestrin.It may have done the same with statins but when I check the side efects of statins against the side effects of plant sterols there is no contest.
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
carty said:
Ken
I fully agree with you about taking meds but my cholesterol reduced well after taking Lestrin.It may have done the same with statins but when I check the side efects of statins against the side effects of plant sterols there is no contest.
CAROL

I did look for information about Lestrin but all the info is very sketchy........mainly just goes to sites that want to sell you the stuff. I wonder do you have the technical info of ingredients etc handy ? Be interested to know more about it. Is it contra indicated anywhere, any known side effects etc.

As for side effects of Statin's, they are not mandatory. I don't get any and I am on Atorvastatin. Simvastatin was the one a long time ago that did affect me until I got it changed.

Ken

C

catherinecherub

I tried Lestrin when I came off statins. Bought it from a health food store and it did nothing for me. Was about £12 for a month's supply and I tried it for 3 months.
My cholesterol has lowered without the intervention of anything probably because of the healthy diet I follow. I think it is the luck of the draw as to whether these "supplements" work or not and as to whether a change of diet helps. For some statins is the only way forward and there are several to try to see if they suit.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken
Lestrin contents Beta sitosterol 400mg, Microcrystalline cellulose, Magnesium stearate, Croscarmellose sodium,Silicon dioxide,Vanilla flavouring. I have researched all these and cant find any real nasties.Thanks for your concern I and Im sure many others appreciate the research you put in to helping us on this forum. I have only been diagnosed DB for about 12 months have had rubbish care from my local health providers so this forum has been great.
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
CAROL.
Thanks for that, I shall continue my own research on this and now the individual ingredients. I am glad it works for you but I think most members on here know my views on 'supplements.' :twisted:

Personal I know but I do like to know exactly what we are talking about before I comment on it.

Ken. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I researched the ingredients of Lestrin........for those who are interested in what these 'healthy' supplements contain........ :|

Beta sitosterol
Beta sitosterol is used in many products as a cholesterol suppressent. You will find it in a variety of spreads for instance. So if you are one of the many who cannot take statins due to the range of side effects then try beta. *What the beta does is suppress the effects of the cholesterol you eat during the meal. Unlike a statin which actually stops the production of cholesterol by the body itself.

So it only suppresses any dietary Cholesterol you consume.
As opposed to statin's which actually suppress the Cholesterol from being produced in your body. The Cholesterol you produce in your own body is the most damaging therefore I believe that that is what you should be addressing, not the dietary sort.

Microcrystalline cellulose,

Microcrystalline Cellulose is not a new product. As a naturally occurring substance, it has proven to be stable, safe and physiologically inert. Microcrystalline Cellulose revolutionised tableting because of its unique compressibility and carrying capacity. It exhibits excellent properties as an excipient for solid dosage forms. It compacts well under minimum compression pressures, has high binding capability, and creates tablets that are extremely hard, stable, yet disintegrate rapidly.

Magnesium stearate,
(Organic chemistry) Mg(C18H35O2)2 Tasteless, odorless white powder; soluble in hot alcohol, insoluble in water; melts at 89°C; used in paints and medicine, and as a plastics stabilizer and lubricant. Also known as dolomol.

Croscarmellose sodium,
Croscarmellose Sodium is a Cross Linked polymer of Carboxymethyl Cellulose Sodium. Cross Linking makes it an insoluble, hydrophillic, highly obsorbent material, resulting in excellent swelling properties and its unique fibrous nature gives it excellent water wicking capabilitics. Croscarmellose Sodium provides superior Drug dissolution and distegration.

Silicon dioxide,
In all other respects, silicon dioxide is inert and harmless. When silica is ingested orally, it passes unchanged through the gastrointestinal tract, exiting in the feces, leaving no trace behind. Small pieces of silicon dioxide are equally harmless, as long as they are not large enough to mechanically obstruct the GI tract, or jagged enough to lacerate its lining. Silicon dioxide produces no fumes and is insoluble in vivo. It is indigestible, with zero nutritional value and zero toxicity.

Vanilla flavouring.
A flavoring extract prepared from the cured seedpods of this plant or produced synthetically

All in all, I haven't changed my view of many supplements. However if they work for you and you can afford them, then go for it. These are the facts that's all.

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken
Just to point out that these ingredients are also in Glucophage and probably in other meds too so not just in alternative meds.but Google is an amazing tool isnt it
CAROL