STEVIA

BUTCH BRADDON

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone with T1 have experience of using the natural sweetener Stevia? I have noted some insulin resistance after using it which might be coincidental or cause and effect. I am attracted to Stevia because of its natural origin and zero carb status. I had been using syrup of Agave previously but have read a lot of negative reports on this fructose based plant syrup viz effects on Liver/fatty Liver. I have actually grown Stevia and used the green leaf's which are incredibly sweet as well as buying the pure extract imported from Brazil and purified in France.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I use it...and have used home grown stuff too, but haven't noticed any effect to insulin levels. Traditionally stevia was used to 'treat' diabetics...(read something about it yeeeears back, but the actual details I have now forgotten...)
Could it be that you actually reacting to what ever you are sweetening rather than the stevia?
Have you seen uk based stevia shop?...they sell pure stevia in its pure form in different forms...powder/tablet/drops...

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are probably 5 threads a week created to discuss Stevia and similar low/zero calorie sweeteners. Rarely do they ever reach any sort of definitive conclusion as there is always at least one person who claims some sort of an unusual reaction to them.

I'm not suggesting that isn't possible, but the vast majority of us have no noticeable effects from the more common sweeteners like Stevia.

Side note: if you appreciate natural products that's wonderful, but don't make the mistake of assuming "natural" products are necessarily better for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use it every single day, in baking and in my coffee. I get mine from Holland and Barrett but my parents had managed to grow a plant last time I visited, and the taste was the same :)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The 'common' stevia products in supermarkets are not 'pure' stevia...often blend of maltodextrin and stevia...if you use that, it could have some effect...but if you do use pure stevia, I haven't dome across anything in my old notes that I've been reading that would suggest rising effect to insulin levels.

BUTCH BRADDON

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 'common' stevia products in supermarkets are not 'pure' stevia...often blend of maltodextrin and stevia...if you use that, it could have some effect...but if you do use pure stevia, I haven't dome across anything in my old notes that I've been reading that would suggest rising effect to insulin levels.
Thanks...I think you have hit the nail on the head! The product I used was called Purevia....however its not pure Stevia but the mixture you refer to. Ive ordered the pure stuff now. I live in France where it is grown and also purified ex Brazil so no excuses for not using the real substance from hereon. Compared to the Supermarket stuff the purified version is much more expensive which is why they probably dont sell it. I think its a bit of a con to put Stevia on the packet if its cut with other sweeteners

Maya192

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Having been recently diagnosed 'pre-diabetic' I decided to look at alternatives to sugar as a starting point. I came across 'Erythritol . It is zero calories, zero GI and 70% the sweetness of sugar! However, it is 100% carbohydrate (although NOT sugar) but something called polyols. I don't know what effect it might have o n T1 or T2 but it might be worth a try.