Still diabetes free.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I had a fasting blood test last Friday and had a phone message from my db nurse yesterday. All she said was 'we don't need to see you again for 6 months'. I had to take a urine sample in today and I saw my nurse chatting to a colegue. I asked if everything was ok with my test and she said yes it was all fine. I then asked if there was any old data I could have as a comparison for this forum. These are some of my readings over the years.

weight 113 kg about 17.5 stone
HbA1c 56
Plasma fasting glucose level from 2005 was 9.6

I started dieting in March 2011
weight 1 month later 103.5kg
HbA1c (just before the diet) 50
pfgl 8.8

Now
weight 79.3kg 12.5st
HbA1c 37
pfgl 5.3

I have lived in (almost) total ignorance of what diabetes meant to my life, it was with me for life and the medical profession would take care of me and give me the medication I needed to stay alive. What a simple soul I am! The above figures are a foreign language to me, I hope some of you make more sense of them! I have been told that my next test is in 6 months unless I feel unwell or have trouble with my feet or eyes. Or put on a lot of weight! Her words, not mine.
In the past few months I gave up bananas, grapes and biscuits. I have really cut down on the high carb foods and have got my carbs down to about 120g per day. I am now left wondering if I needed to do all that. If I got a new battery for my meter and some test strips I could carry out some experiments.
Well, have to go now, the dinner won't make itself! and I am being summoned.
Lee.

LittleWolf

Diabetes is high blood sugar yes? Well you're lowered your fasting blood sugar so that's good and yes you did need to change your diet because well... It made you reduce the weight and reduce the numbers! Not much else to it I don't think :p

Hooray for you <3

Btw I was told to avoid grapes too!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi LittleWolf,

I have to stick to my new way of eating to be certain, well hopeful anyway, of the diabetes staying away. On the whole I have reduced my carb intake from 200g per day to just over 100 and up to 150 some days. I am now going to start looking at ways of getting it down further.

Yorksman, Mon Ami. Isn't suet made with animal fat? Veggie in the room, veggie in the room. But chips? A chip butty must be one of lifes most indulgent pleasures. I shall plan for a chip butty as we speak (low carb bread, of course :twisted: .
Lee

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Yorksman, Mon Ami. Isn't suet made with animal fat? Veggie in the room, veggie in the room. But chips? A chip butty must be one of lifes most indulgent pleasures. I shall plan for a chip butty as we speak (low carb bread, of course :twisted: .

Suet is the raw fat that surrounds the kidneys. Didn't know you were a veggie, sorry.

I won't tell you what I ate this weekend then but I bought it all at Hinchcliffe's Farm shop. Their motto is 'From Pasture to Plate'.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lol I'm no way a veggie but that suet sounds disgusting

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:
Lol I'm no way a veggie but that suet sounds disgusting

Do you like cheese? The best cheeses still use rennet to separate the curds from the whey. The best is from the inner mucosa of the fourth stomach chamber of slaughtered young, unweaned calves.

Anyway, didn't you say you like jelly? Gelatin is often made from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hides and connective tissues.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
<<<<<<running around sofa with fingers in ears singing a lala song!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ok yorksman is lying, gelatin is made from rainbows

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lieing? Hmm that don't look right, you know what I mean right? Lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm starting a thread called "ignorance is bliss"

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
And thinking about becoming vegetarian, apart from jellies, apparently rainbows can't feel pain

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:
Ok yorksman is lying, gelatin is made from rainbows

ROFL. What is the carb content of that coke you've been sniffing?

lrw60

Dislikes
So many things I would enjoy are non-veggie. Before I became diabetic I hadn't eaten cake for years. Now I can't/won't eat cake. (eggs). I have to ask before I buy an ice cream if it has egg, sometimes they know mostly they don't. Most wines have egg, some apparently have something out of a fish. I remember a programme on TV where one of the people appearing was a diet group leader. She recommended eating dust. Little Britain I think it was called. Probably a documentary about the British at work and play. I will try dust, maybe with some rainbow?
lrw60.
PS. Got the headphones on listening to Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene, 1976. For me it don't get much better, just wish this computer had a very much louder button.

Lynn8124

lol that'll be Marjory Dawes aka matt lucas "It's actually quite low in fat so you can have as much dust as you like!" :lol: well done irw for getting your blood sugar under such tight control. :D

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
What's wrong with veggies eating eggs if they're unfertilised? They'd just go to waste otherwise. Or am I missing something?
I'm not a veggie but I don't think I could deprive myself of cake, that's my occasional treat :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
FurryCub said:
What's wrong with veggies eating eggs if they're unfertilised? They'd just go to waste otherwise. Or am I missing something?
I'm not a veggie but I don't think I could deprive myself of cake, that's my occasional treat :)

When I became a veggie I had to decide what I thought a veggie was. I couldn't eat anything from an animal, dead or alive! It's no good some kindly cow donating a leg or something for me to chomp on. A friend said she found it difficult knowing what to cook for me if I wasn't there to tell her what was OK or not. So I said just play that old game that was on the radio and telly. 'Animal. mineral or vegatable'. If in any way shape or form it falls in the first catagory, I won't eat it. Becoming veggie opened up a whole new wold of exotic foriegn dishes that I wouldn't have touched when I ate meat. Also, as a child I cracked open a rotten boiled egg. That smell would put anyone off! :sick: