Still Not Prescribed A Bs Monitor

paul022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had my 3 month retest HBA1C was 7.2% now 5.9%
Cholesterol was 6.3 now 4.7. I have lost 9 kg.
Really pleased but I still feel as if I'm doing it all blind because diabetic nurse says I shouldn't have a bs monitor.
It would be easier to know what is really bad but also anything that I can eat without worry.
Should I insist on one as I believe it is just for financial reasons I am being refused a monitor.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is a magnificent result. :)

You have hit the nail on the head as regards the necessity of having a meter. Your nurse only tells you that you shouldn't have one because if she told you to use one the NHS would be obliged to provide them. They used to a few years ago but stopped it due to cost. I'm afraid very very few of us are prescribed meters and strips. Most of us Type 2s have to self fund. The Codefree is very popular, and it has the cheapest test strips available.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

Pharmacies don't sell them, and don’t forget to declare you are diabetic in order to avoid any VAT.

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

(other meters are available!)

Reactions: 5 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
D's nurses and gp,s won,t provide meters for type 2,s because of the cost, though am not sure if that applies to type 2,s taking insulin
The sd codefree is the cheapest to buy and alot of members use the codefree

paul022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to shop around and see what works best.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to shop around and see what works best.

Just be aware, whilst shopping around, that the cost of the meter itself is insignificant because you only need one. (some are given away free). Check out the cost of replacement test strips as you need loads of these and they can be extremely expensive.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D's nurses and gp,s won,t provide meters for type 2,s because of the cost, though am not sure if that applies to type 2,s taking insulin
The sd codefree is the cheapest to buy and alot of members use the codefree
You can get one if you are prescribed any medicine capable of giving you a hypo. I got mine when I was put on Glimepiride. There is no logic to this since we are all diagnosed because we are hyper. It's pure nut country.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great HbA1c, cholesterol and weight reductions in 3 months @paul022! Well done!:)
As has been said the NHS won't usually prescribe monitors and test strips for T2s who are not on insulin. I bought a meter after my 3 month retest as I realised I would have no idea how I was doing until my next HbA1c test after 12 months. If you are able to self fund it is worth the few pounds a week it will cost.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You can get one if you are prescribed any medicine capable of giving you a hypo. I got mine when I was put on Glimepiride. There is no logic to this since we are all diagnosed because we are hyper. It's pure nut country.
I was on that drug for awhile but was still denied I meter

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh by the way, I had forgotten, about 18 months ago, my surgery did in fact give me a meter because they had a few spare ones, but the surgery did say I had to buy the test strips and lancets as the surgery would not give them to me. When I looked on amazon, the test strips were 25 pounds per pot and I was not prepared to pay that price so threw the meter away

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh by the way, I had forgotten, about 18 months ago, my surgery did in fact give me a meter because they had a few spare ones, but the surgery did say I had to buy the test strips and lancets as the surgery would not give them to me. When I looked on amazon, the test strips were 25 pounds per pot and I was not prepared to pay that price so threw the meter away

Ally, you are on Gliclazide, which promotes insulin production and can cause hypos (as you know - you had a couple) so you should be prescribed test strips.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally, you are on Gliclazide, which promotes insulin production and can cause hypos (as you know - you had a couple) so you should be prescribed test strips.
Hi bluetit yes I was on the drug but was taken off it and then given victoza in place of it. I had the hypos with victoza. When I was put on victoza, I had put it on my profile and shows up when I post x

Last edited by a moderator:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Victoza also promotes insulin release and can cause hypos, same deal different mechanism.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bluetit yes I was on the drug but was taken off it and then given victoza in place of it. I had the hypos with victoza. When I was put on victoza, I had put it on my profile and shows up when I post x

Sorry Ally. My brain hasn't woken up yet today. However, Victoza can also cause low blood sugars. Perhaps you should be asking again, especially as you had those hypos.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry Ally. My brain hasn't woken up yet today. However, Victoza can also cause low blood sugars. Perhaps you should be asking again, especially as you had those hypos.
Hi bluetit, yes I will ask and see what they say x

Reactions: 3 people