Still unwell and Scunnered!

lilibet

Hi all
Feel I only log in when I want to moan or ask questions re bad things!
Apologies - promise as soon as I am further down the road I will log in and be my usual sunny (ish) self and dazzle you all with my witty repartee. Until then though .... :)

Diagnosed 4 weeks ago. Was knowledgeable a bit about diabetes but naively thought would get diet and insulin sorted and then be fine within this period. Kind of horrible to think goal posts move all the time and that being sorted is a relative term. However, am getting head round that part.

DSN says things will take a few weeks to settle but in all honestly whilst I didnt think bs would be perfect all the time, i did think I would feel like myself again (but just with higher bs at times). However still spending parts of the day feeling quite lightheaded, dizzy and a bit spaced out. Testing of bs has not shown anything (can be between normal or higher than normal) but within a certain range so I thought things would be settled a bit by now and would feel well. Am still off work and (cant believe Id ever say this) desperate to get back as this will signify normality for me. At obvious times (ie before lunch) can get a bit hypoish and could not function at work at this time.

Is it unrealistic to feel 'well' after 4 weeks. I know peeps are different but although I knew things wouldnt be sorted, I did think I would feel ok. No probs with thirsty/urination etc just the lightheaded thing. WOuld swings in bs do this? Am not testing after all meals but by default I am when driving. Sometimes bs can go from 5.3 on testing to nearly or just over 10 (and then back down). Is this likely to be making me feel ill.

Please feel free to comment, trying not to let diabetes hypochondria get out of hand as if this is not usual I will be asking for DSN to check BP/pulse etc when I go next week. Have couple other symptoms but think likely bringing them on myself re anxiety - though will mention again to medics.

Thanks for listening

Lilibet

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi Lillibet

Don't worry about coming on to moan I always seem to be asking questions! I am sure there are others who will answer your question but I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago and I am still struggling to control bg levels and I still feel ill at times. I don't feel as tired as I did before starting medication, I was a bit dopey (some might say I am like that all the time :x and falling asleep all over the place. :roll: I am sure you will start to feel better soon, I'm convinced I will once I have got the diet right, medication right and positive attitude right. :D Hope you feel better soon.

Chris

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Don't apologise for being scunnered,Lillibet! We all felt that to begin with until we began to get our heads round the confusion of diabetes.Unfortunately I can't advise you on the insulin not using it myself but I'm sure someone will be along to give you the info on that.Keep coming here and reading and asking questions,we've all been there and know what you are going through.

caitycakes

Hi lilibet,

I think that if you are going from say 5 to 10 in a very short time you might feel strange. I was the same. It was a funny feeling and difficult to describe. A feeling of being slightly "off", almost like when you have had to much to drink and turn round too quickly (almost dizzy) but not as exaggerated as that. Well that's the best I can describe it anyway!!! It used to make my pulse race and I would think I was having a hypo, but when I checked my BG levels they would be nowhere near hypoland. Then I would get annoyed with myself. At one point I thought I was having panic attacks, but it was just going from say 10 to 5 very quickly or the same going up the way. I once pulled over from driving totally convinced I was having a hypo and when I checked I was at 11. I had just had lunch and knew I could not be having a hypo so I think it was because I had gotten quite high too quickly.

caitycakes x

sleepylu

I know what you mean about the panic attacks feeling.
I feel anxious, racy heart, anticipation. Not nice.
You are not alone, sure someone on here can help......

lilibet

Had Appt with DSN today who checked log book and said that things quite stable at this point (though not as Id like them - though I belive patience is in order....). Therefore doesnt think that I should still be feeling as bad as I describe.

Her suggestion however was to try running my sugars higher again to see if that helped :?: Took all my willpower not to query which parallel dimension she inhabits whereby a Type 1 diabetic who narrowly escaped DKA just under 5 weeks ago would like to deliberately run her sugars high to 'see' if she feels better on them. Theory i assume is that my 'tight' control is to blame. Dont know how slowly you need to bring them down in order to get better (8 weeks, 3 months?) but ......
Suffice to say - No
Off to GP tomorrow if i can, where no doubt I will be offered an anti-depressant LOL.

I will of course be demanding tests for anaemia, low BP, inner ear infections, heart arrythmias and anything else my diabetes hypochondriac jimminy cricket can conjure up overnight. :D

Ongoing suggestions are welcome.

Ta

Lilibet

Trinkwasser

lilibet said:
I will of course be demanding tests for anaemia, low BP, inner ear infections, heart arrythmias and anything else my diabetes hypochondriac jimminy cricket can conjure up overnight. :D

Ongoing suggestions are welcome.

Thyroid?

lilibet

Hi Trink
To get full blood count next week - thyroid to be part of it. Along with liver, iron, b12, etc etc

Symptoms feel a bit like they did post diagnosis for inital week(s), but went away briefly and now back so dont know if it is just diabetes related (has only been 5 weeks). DSN and GP dont think bs to blame as stable (though higher than Id like). Dont know if rising pp bs would make me feel like this but dont think so as tends to be like this most of the day.
However, lightheadedness (foggy, spaced out as opposed to vertigo type feelings) is actually bad enough to the point where I havent felt able to do much the last couple of days or go out. BP a bit low (110/60, usually in range of 117/70 so not a severe drop) but GP basically saying that if it this, combined with diabetes, change in diet etc then she cant do owt. HAve upped the salt a bit but dont want to over do it.

Am actually getting quite worried and down about it now. :( Prepared/willing/able to put in work with the diabetes but its just too easy for medics to put things down to dx or anxiety related.

Was wondering if reduce carbs might be to blame - though dont think so as portions not that severely cut. Also not deyhdrated - drinking plenty.

Where's Dr Katherine when you need her?

Lilibet

Sorry to hear you feel unwell,
4 weeks isn't really long enough to sort out your BS. Glucose sticks to your red blood cells for their lifetime (approx 100 days). This is where your HBa1c comes into play, ideally you should have one done on diagnosis, to use as a benchmark, and then another after 3-4 months. This gives a clearer long range picture of what your BS figures really are.
If your BS is fluctuating to a large degree, you will feel strange.
It's early days for you yet, but it does get better (honest).

lilibet

Thanks all

Am getting the strange sensations in feet again so maybe its just the new 'phase' of changing bs. By and large all pre meal sugars are below 6 though not taking pp yet at 2 hours as not enough strips. Been told not to by DSN in case I 'worry myself' LOL. GP also stating this so unlikely to be able to get more strips than current.
Am going to get more strips myself if I have to and start testing after meals - only way to learn what effects me and only way to check if bs is spiking etc.

Knew that three months sometimes mentioned as reasonable time for things to start settling and that makes sense given lifetime of red blood cells etc. To get next hba1c on 28th.Not sure if it was done on dx but am going to ask at appt.

Ironically, fingers crossed am feeling rubbish cause its diabetes.
Saying that must be a sign of progress :lol:

L

caitycakes

Lilibet,

Please don't go out and but strips yourself, they cost a fortune. You are type 1, and should be able to get the amount of strips you feel you need to keep on top of things. Go to docs and get them to change your prescription to the amount you would like. I get 200 per month and am going to ask for 300 as I use a lot when I introduce a new food. Be firm and insist and I bet you get them.

Best Wishes

Caitycakes x

Trinkwasser

The blood tests might show something up. Meantime your testing seems designed NOT to reveal what's actually occurring, you really need to be checking about 1 hour after you eat so you can see how high you may be spiking. It's plausible you are still shooting up high and then crashing down, which can produce the same symptoms as a hypo tacked onto the symptoms from the high itself. Without sufficient testing you're never going to know this and without knowing this you're not going to be able to do anything about it - which may involve adjusting your diet or your insulin or both.

Without being able to do this of course you're going to be worried <sigh>

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you were running high enough to be in dangrer of DKA, you may be feeling off as a result of better control. I wouldn't recommend risking your future health by going back upthough, I think you will adjust abd feel better soon.
Keep the faith!
NORMal bgs are the road

sleepylu

If your BS is fluctuating to a large degree, you will feel strange.
It's early days for you yet, but it does get better (honest).

Thank you ~ this does help us newbies to keep our spirits up!