Stopping Metformin

Agent L

About 10yrs ago my sister was diagnosed as having Type 2 Diabetes. She was prescribed Metformin. However, during a recent check up at her medical centre the nurse cut her tablets from two a day to one, then at her next visit she was taken off them altogether and told to stick to her diet. Is it safe to discontinue taking the metformin after all this time? I think her reading is probably on average around 8-ish.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There is no problem coming off Metformin in steps like this. I was taking the maximum dose of 3g daily for about 10 years and reduced these over a period this year. I now take none. No problems.
They are not always for life.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YES thanks for that.Iam on 5x500 metformin diagnosed 6 months ago am working hard to get bgs down and knowing I may be able to reduce or even come off met eventually helps to keep positive

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no problem coming off Metformin in steps like this. I was taking the maximum dose of 3g daily for about 10 years and reduced these over a period this year. I now take none. No problems.
They are not always for life.
Hi. Great about the meds. Are you managing to keep your b g levels down. If so, how. Sorry if people already know. This. I'm new and trying to soak up some knowledge.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @comfort, You can help control your bg levels by eating a sensible (generally low carbohydrate) diet and by using a glucose meter to test what foods cause your levels to spike, and then avoiding these in future. If you are overweight, losing some will also help bring your glucose levels down.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people