Stopping NSAID (ibuprofen) for two weeks for MRI

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried one of those pillows, but even the lower side is too high. So now I use a feather pillow, old enough to be kneaded in the shape I want, sometimes with an added plush piglet under my neck. (Which was an accidental find, it just happened to be in that exact spot without me noticing one night, instant relief! :hilarious: )

I'm not sure about the topical ibuprofen, but for those two weeks I'd rather go completely without to be sure. I don't think any studies have been done on that, the study I found is from this year.

Massage sounds wonderful, regardless of it helping or not, but it's also expensive if you can't find friends who want to give it a go.

Antje, when I was first told no NSAIDs, I asked about topical Ibuprofen or Voltarol and told not those either. Much less of a risk, because of the topical nature, but a No nonetheless.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Massage sounds wonderful, regardless of it helping or not, but it's also expensive if you can't find friends who want to give it a go.
Lying on the floor and rolling on tennis ball (or similar eg dogs ball) might help and is free . Can also be done standing against a wall but bit to easy for ball to run away

• Creative
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think I'm not going to worry about the heart risk for now. It's only a small increased risk, and while I do ticks some other risk factors, there are no heart issues in my family history.
No, I definitely didn't mean to suggest you should worry over NSAID because of heart risk, I posted the link solely because it had alternative meds for people who couldn't take NSAIDS.

Here's hoping your doctor can give you some different medications so that you can get some sleep during the fortnight. And massage from friends sounds as though it could be very therapeutic.

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lying on the floor and rolling on tennis ball (or similar eg dogs ball) might help and is free . Can also be done standing against a wall but bit to easy for ball to run away
Might give that a try, there are still plenty of tennis balls from my old dog in the garden, even though he passed away four years ago. I'll have to dry one first though, I don't fancy rolling a wet, muddy tennis ball around my neck! :hilarious:
Not nearly as nice as having someone giving you a massage though, adds a bit of personal touch. :)
Here's hoping your doctor can give you some different medications so that you can get some sleep during the fortnight. And massage from friends sounds as though it could be very therapeutic.
I'm going to try with the medication I already have, so far, it seems like the combination of paracetamol plus tramadol if needed makes sense.
I have a friend down the road who may be willing, I'll have to ask her. :)

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Attempting to think outside the box here, does your local pool have a hot tub? (Suspect swimming in general might help though, even if it doesn't).

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Attempting to think outside the box here, does your local pool have a hot tub? (Suspect swimming in general might help though, even if it doesn't).
It does, and I use it twice a week after aquarobics.
Very nice, but I don't think it helps anything with the pain, which is almost non existant after exercise.
And a hot wheat bag applied to sore bits?
I have one of those electric neck/shoulder things, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference for the pain.
It's absolutely wonderful for warming me up after my cold water swims though, so I've been using it today after a swim in the dark. :)

1703711955770.png
1703711974944.png

• Winner
Reactions: jessj