Strange night time 12-2 or 3pm readings increase!

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all you guys out there may have solution,. Before retiring I do blood test always good say 5.7 average. asleep by 11.oopm as early riser, noticed blood sugar rises between 12 and 2.30am??? Only happened recently always been stable, even goes down by morning after peaking at 9.5-10.00 then back at 6 07 on awaking. Got me a bit confused. Hba1c sits at 33 to 37 average. Basal rate 1.30???? Any ideas never had this. I know I can increase basal but does not happen all the time. Been on pump for eight years. Novorapid. Medtronic 754 pump. CGM.
Help appreciated from the experts.

Reactions: Michael090382

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bump.
I have been on injections since I was diagnosed in 2009 so I have no idea about pumps. Enjoy the forum until help arrives :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @.gurley - what do you eat n the evening when this happens and what time do you eat ?

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
You will be a perfect candidate for the Medtronic 780G (or whatever they call it in your country) when it's released in your country.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @.gurley - what do you eat n the evening when this happens and what time do you eat ?
I ear at 7pm and about 40 45 grams carbs so no real reason for rise? It runs a few nights then nothing? Its really curious, I know 740g varies bolus but not sure if I can get one t5his is a fairly recent happening so totally bemused.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @gurley, Might it be to do with the type of food/carbs you are having a 7 pm?
For example, if I am having pasta or Indian food I find that the sugar peak from such meals may well be 3 to 3 1/2 hours, maybe even later.
Could that explain the variability, the BSL rises occurring some nights but not on others.?
I take an extended or split bolus to cover these type of meals so that there is a % of insulin injected at the bolus time before the meal and another % injected say 2 hours later to better cover the later and more prolonged BSL peak. Sometimes I find that the basal for the next 4 hours needs to be increased also. Best Wishes!! Please let us know what works, what the problem turns out to be - and please keep asking questions.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gurley, I find if I eat pasta or rice with my meal, my BG rises a few hours after eating. I do a temp basal going to bed for 2-3 hours at 15-20% extra. Could be carbs relTed.