Struggling

Gabs1x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, ive been on the tslim pump for about 3/4 months now and i hate it. Its forever failing on me with my cannulas leaking and insulin goes down even if i havent given any and then i end up running high alot more than i used to with injections. I know it wasnt a brand new pump (got it through the nhs) because it said it was previously used 2 years prior to me having it and the box was open. Just wondering what people would recommend doing? Do i stick with it? They originally put me on it to help with dawn phenomenon but im fed up of running in the late teens/twenties. Even though im doing everything i should? Help pleaseeeee

• Hug
Reactions: Juicyj

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, ive been on the tslim pump for about 3/4 months now and i hate it. Its forever failing on me with my cannulas leaking and insulin goes down even if i havent given any and then i end up running high alot more than i used to with injections. I know it wasnt a brand new pump (got it through the nhs) because it said it was previously used 2 years prior to me having it and the box was open. Just wondering what people would recommend doing? Do i stick with it? They originally put me on it to help with dawn phenomenon but im fed up of running in the late teens/twenties. Even though im doing everything i should? Help pleaseeeee
I have been using t:slim X2 for 15 months now and find it frustrating. I changed to TruSteel cannulas because the teflon one kept kinking. The steel cannulas work better for me, but even these ones get blocked from time to time. Just now I am having to replace a cannula that I inserted less than 24-hrs ago. I use my insulin pen as a back-up whenever readings start go too high.

I recommend that you keep a log of all the problems and tell your diabetes team about them. The pump not being reliable may have nothing to do with it being pre-used, but perhaps ask if you change to a different make. (I tried without success).

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you contacted your pump team to ask for advice? It takes time to adjust from mdi to a pump, and it could be that your basal rate is wrong, or carb ratio has changed etc.

If you're using Teflon cannulas, have you tried the steel ones?

You could also ring the tandem helpline, and report the issues you're having to them. I know they're trying to bring out a new cannula, and are logging all calls from anyone that's struggling, so the more people who ring the better.

When you say the level in your cartridge is going down, are you using Control IQ, as the pump will automatically correct when you're high.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Juicyj and ElenaP

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Heya Gabs - as Hopeful has said are you on Control IQ with the Dexcom ?

Bad cannula sets are typical with teflon sets as mentioned above too, tru steel and bomb proof in comparison, I never have issues with leaks/kinks/sore sites since using them, it shouldn't make any difference if it's new or used, you're still covered if anything does awry, but you do need to speak to your team about the cannula issues.

Until we know more about if it's linked up to the Dexcom then can't say a huge amount more but a pump can be fine tuned to align it with DP issues, are you ok adjusting your basal profile yourself or do you need help from your team ?

Reactions: richyb