Stuck in the USA - running out of Meds!

Meerekat

Like many others - I am a victim of the Icelandic Volcano and a 3 day business trip to Chicago and Philly has turned into a nightmare - with no sign of an immediate end.
Now being on a business trip thats not a major problem as everything is paid for, decent hotels, food clothes etc...... But only planning on a 3 day trip I took just a 5 day supply of Metformin (am always cautious)- guess what ? it just ran out and as I could be here another week. Am begining to get a bit worried. :roll:

Questions are - How much of a problem is it not to take the metformin for a couple of weeks ?
If it is a problem is there anyway I can appeal to the US medical system and get some here ?

I am a Type 2 diagnosed a year ago on 3 x Metformin 500mil + diet and exercise. Normally BG between 5,5 - 6.5. (Did not bring monitor - travellin light but could buy one)

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on the above.

As a footnote - it is really hard to eat healthy over here - everything has Sugar on it even Breakfast and all portions are Huge carb filled plates - but they do have many more diabetic products in the regular shops at sensible prices

MK

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi MK,

I would have thought that your travel/medical insurance would cover a prescription for Metformin over there too.

I always carry a meter with me to test BG when I'm away on business trips; although sadly these days my trips are UK only, nowhere as exotic as yours.

Simples.....

Meerekat

thanks Ardberg.

So - do I just need to make a doctors appointment ? or go to a local Hospital ? or a pharmacy ?

Believe me there is nothing exotic as Philladelphia - when you just want to get home - nice weather though just went out and bought some shorts!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Compare the Meerekat.com

Compare the Metformin.com

Simples!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Have you checked at a pharmacy to see if you can get it without prescription. Heaps of stuff in the US is sold over the counter.

Hope the air clears soon and you can get home safely.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like luckily you are staying in a decent hotel - speak to the receptionist or the concierge - they will have all the info you will need and the hotel should have a doctor on call - maybe you could speak to them - there will be lots of people just like yourself - and even if you do have to pay at least your health will be looked after.

People always laugh at me but I always take double meds and two meters when I stay anywhere - even in this country - packed in two different places in case one gets lost - it seems so obsessive and silly - until the very time you need it! - I learnt my lesson the hard way too so I am no clever clogs! :lol: :lol: - spent a full day trying to get epilepsy meds for my hubby and that was here in England - after all the fuss we worked out it would have been quicker to drive back home and get them and come back :lol:

Hope you get sorted soon and are managing to enjoy your extended stay

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If using only Metformin, you can actually probably manage without, if you keep your diet TIGHT Nevertheless, I'd ask the concierge, if the hotel has one, or the manager if they don't. I would definitely get hold of a meter though. likely to be cheaper in the US.
Hana

Dippy3103

Could be worse. My bosses wife is stuck in Italy with a party of 40 school kids and a 3 day coach journey to look forward to. Any news on when you are likely to get a flight? Hope you sort your meds. Keep us posted.

Meerekat

Thanks for your replies - appreciate it - can feel a bit isolated here.

Went to Pharmacy today - they were very helpful - cant dispense Metformin but gave me address of Walk in Medical centre which should be able to sort me with prescription. Slight problem - they not open till Monday. So stick to the salad and spend my time walking and in the Gym will hopefully keep me on track till then.

Will post on Monday hopefully with a MF supply - looks like I will be here for some time :?

MK

Happybunny

Just an idea which is worth chasing up.......have you tried making contact with a UK embassy near where you are based or even the US embassy.........have had to use these facilities in the past myself whilst travelling the world and have always found officials to be so very helpful and understanding.........best of luck and a speedy return home..................

viv1969

The drop-in medical centre is a good idea.
The ER would be another port of call.
The British Embassy are well versed in such things, but you won't find a US Embassy in the US :)
For assistance you can call the Cosular Assistance Team on 0207 008 1500 or email [email protected]

Herman lausan

Many drugstore will sell you a few days supply, if you still have the container the metformin came in. Ask at hoteldesk if they have any friend that are type 2 and if they could spare a few days worth. Americans will usually go out of their way to help.If you overhear someone talk about diabetes , ask them . The americans are mostly fat , so many have type 2 diabetes

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Herman lausan said:
Ask at hoteldesk if they have any friend that are type 2 and if they could spare a few days worth. Americans will usually go out of their way to help.If you overhear someone talk about diabetes , ask them .

Just want to say you should NEVER take any drugs prescribed for someone else - especially from someone you don't know in a strange country!

Herman lausan said:
The americans are mostly fat , so many have type 2 diabetes
:shock: - that old stereotyping again! :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Herman lausan said:
The americans are mostly fat , so many have type 2 diabetes

I can't believe you said that! :shock: It ain't necessarily so! There are so many of us who struggle with weight issues and they are not all about getting weight off either; some of us have difficulty keeping weight on. There are just as many issues that people have with trying to get weight off and both sides of the coin can be really miserable. :shock:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt Herman and put it down to possibly being newly diagnosed and not knowing much about diabetes but I will suggest to you that you might benefit from reading up on the many issues relating to diabetes. We need to stop promulgating the old chestnuts which are still floating around in a cloud of ignorance!! :evil:

Rant over!! :roll: :evil: :roll: