urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The word 'honeymoon period' was a complete surpise to me, only knew about it on the forum.:wideyed: It didn't seem to be around years ago ( for me) :confused:

Oh right, so there's a link between the honeymoon period and doing the DAPHNE course? But I've read that some people can continue producing some of thier own insulin for several years after first diagnosis.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Will look into getting that book and giving it a read,i have support from some family and my partner but still dont feel they understand what i go through or how i feel on a daily basis but they try,just some adjustments to life i guess to be taken carefully but think once i k ow whats good for me and what isnt ill be ok
this is true @kat1989 -- partners and family can support and at times they will have guilt about what you go through but they will not understand the feelings like us D club members.
you have the right attitude and you are in the right place for support too !!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh right, so there's a link between the honeymoon period and doing the DAPHNE course? But I've read that some people can continue producing some of thier own insulin for several years after first diagnosis.

Definitely not me lol, all this information wasn't around years ago ( that I know of) I still find it bewildering :wideyed: but interesting too.

kat1989

Yeah thats true@himtoo my dad come round xmas day and wasnt too good and pointes out i had no colour and as i tested my blood i was in middle of a hypo and the look of guilt on his face killed me as i could see the pity in his eyes,but jusy showed him i was fine and went back to normal sometimes when i feel at my worst i smile as i dont want to worry anyone especially the parents or partner(my mom is a proper worrier lol)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes, it can be quite hard for partners too. By the time I went to see the doc I think I pretty much knew what he was going to say and my partner seemed, and continues to be more stressed about the situation than I was/am.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeah thats true@himtoo my dad come round xmas day and wasnt too good and pointes out i had no colour and as i tested my blood i was in middle of a hypo and the look of guilt on his face killed me as i could see the pity in his eyes,but jusy showed him i was fine and went back to normal sometimes when i feel at my worst i smile as i dont want to worry anyone especially the parents or partner(my mom is a proper worrier lol)

i am sure my mother and father cried their eyes out for ages after i was diagnosed all those years ago,

and i know my partner watches me like a hawk-- she can tell i am going hypo before i can sometimes -- LOL

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, it can be quite hard for partners too. By the time I went to see the doc I think I pretty much knew what he was going to say and my partner seemed, and continues to be more stressed about the situation than I was/am.
mine stresses too if its any help ;)

kat1989

Yeah my partner doesnt leave my side when im having a hypo but seek to manage them quiet well so im hoping im keeping it under control as much as i can,my mom was so upset especially when i was admitted to hospital after being diagnosed,and then the next day she turns up with everything yoid need to treat a hypo and even as a cupboard for me at hers,and everyday withoit fail shell phone to make sure im ok.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeah my partner doesnt leave my side when im having a hypo but seek to manage them quiet well so im hoping im keeping it under control as much as i can,my mom was so upset especially when i was admitted to hospital after being diagnosed,and then the next day she turns up with everything yoid need to treat a hypo and even as a cupboard for me at hers,and everyday withoit fail shell phone to make sure im ok.
good for you on your really positive attitude -- it is the best way to be

and big bonus points for your mom too on the hypo treatment and your own cupboard !! impressed here

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

You have a sweet Mum :) ... and partner too !!

Take care won't you ..... Mike :)

kat1989

@himtoo me and mom have always been close even more since having my son,and especially now with diabetes as she knows the risks and health etc afer spending a whole nigjt googling it all when i was in hospital she really is tops couldnt ask for a better mom to be honest ☺

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
6 months! nobody mentioned that to me at the diabetes clinic.

I think like to give people time to adjust to injecting insulin and to be out of their Honeymoon Period before enrolling on the course, but as we know many people's Honeymoon Period can go on for much longer than this, we had someone on our DAFNE course and they were almost certainly still in their HP as they were injecting very small amounts of insulin.

Reactions: 5 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Your doing extremely well, it all falls into place over time. Try and get a copy of the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, it's a must read for anyone living with type 1 diabetes.

I still refer back to this book when hit any problems .
Easy to grasp and read for me .

It was my bible and got me through some blips with my insulin
and diabetes routine/regime .
Great when a lot wasn't going smoothly for myself .

Cant be easy with a little one to care for - alongside your own needs .
Love and thoughts, take some YOU time out when needed .
This can help you regain inner strength and ask all the questions here you wish.

None ever a stupid question either :)
No matter how you feel it may be . x

Reactions: 8 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The word 'honeymoon period' was a complete surpise to me, only knew about it on the forum.:wideyed: It didn't seem to be around years ago ( for me) :confused:

Ha ha, it didn't exist for me either when I was diagnosed.:) I wonder if I had it. :eek: Can't say I noticed. :rolleyes: