Type 1 Suddenly gone high in the mornings after breakfast?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
You’ve not confused anything Tony 1970’s diabetes eh? Them were the days ...... can still smell boiling syringes and antiseptic wipes so nice to speak to another veteran x

Do you remember clinitest tablets?
5 drops of urine to ten drops of water I think it was???
Orange for 2% and blue for negative.....
And you had to pay for your own needles!

I'm surprised we've lived to tell the tale......lol

Tony

Reactions: conniecar

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Tony
I remember Clinitest tablets and also the little ketone tablets we'd to use if the result was 2%.
I never had to pay for needles, I didn't realise that anyone did! I was diagnosed in 1978, so it'll be 40years next year.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I remember Clinitest tablets and also the little ketone tablets we'd to use if the result was 2%.
I never had to pay for needles, I didn't realise that anyone did! I was diagnosed in 1978, so it'll be 40years next year.

Oh yes
I was diagnosed in 74 aged just 6 and it wasn't until the 1980s when the government of the day decided drug addicts needed free needles and syringes because of infection therefore a law was passed giving free needles and syringes on prescription to druggies and then as an after thought (?!) they added diabetics for the same.
You ask your parents.
My parents had little money and my sister was diagnosed aged just 3 so they had 2 insulin dependent diabetics and they had to buy their own needles!

And breathe.....lol

Tony

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes
I was diagnosed in 74 aged just 6 and it wasn't until the 1980s when the government of the day decided drug addicts needed free needles and syringes because of infection therefore a law was passed giving free needles and syringes on prescription to druggies and then as an after thought (?!) they added diabetics for the same.
You ask your parents.
My parents had little money and my sister was diagnosed aged just 3 so they had 2 insulin dependent diabetics and they had to buy their own needles!

And breathe.....lol

Tony
Are you talking about needles for glass syringes? They were free but disposable syringes weren't on the NHS list till the 80's.

I remember being sent home from hospital with my first lot of needles. Unfortunately they gave me inch long needles instead of the usual half inch ones. That's about 24mm! I did try to use them, OUCH!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Tony

Yes Tony!! I remember my Mum used to shout into the bathroom ‘Is it blue?’ What a regime that was! I also had a gun type thing that fired the whole metal and glass syringe at you? The bruises....My Nan used to make me a selection box every Christmas too. It was Skells ( weird sweets that you pressed out of a foil packet like tablets ) and diabetic chocolates. It was like having a box of laxatives!! Lovely thought though

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Are you talking about needles for glass syringes? They were free but disposable syringes weren't on the NHS list till the 80's.

I remember being sent home from hospital with my first lot of needles. Unfortunately they gave me inch long needles instead of the usual half inch ones. That's about 24mm! I did try to use them, OUCH!

I disagree as my parents had to buy the needles but got the glass syringes on prescription .....I don't wish this to sound rude and I will check with them and let you know...it may well be my memory that's skewed....

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Yes Tony!! I remember my Mum used to shout into the bathroom ‘Is it blue?’ What a regime that was! I also had a gun type thing that fired the whole metal and glass syringe at you? The bruises....My Nan used to make me a selection box every Christmas too. It was Skells ( weird sweets that you pressed out of a foil packet like tablets ) and diabetic chocolates. It was like having a box of laxatives!! Lovely thought though

My sister had the injectagun I think that was its name although don't quote me on that either......
Do you recall Fresca and one cal?
Fizzy canned pop that you could only get from the chemist!
I remember my first diabetic chocolate Easter egg from thorn tons.....it should of had a toilet roll in the middle.....lol

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister had the injectagun I think that was its name although don't quote me on that either......
Do you recall Fresca and one cal?
Fizzy canned pop that you could only get from the chemist!
I remember my first diabetic chocolate Easter egg from thorn tons.....it should of had a toilet roll in the middle.....lol

Yes I remember One Cal ! Think it was just lemonade flavour. Yes I also had an Easter egg from Thornton’s, it was tiny and a very boring egg shape with instructions not to OVERDOSE! Wish I could remember the other pastille sweets, they had blackcurrant, strawberry and a strange flavour called ‘Olde English’ that tasted very medical. I also have memories of my Mum struggling to make me some buns to take to a school cake day with Sorbitol....foul stuff which was very concentrated and just two droplets could floor a rhino. She tried so hard for me to fit in. I also had a medic alert necklace which you unscrewed to reveal a bit of folded paper. If I opened it once a day, I opened it twenty. It rusted eventually and my parents agreed it wasn’t that great

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
St Christopher was the necklace and my sister had one of those......

I used to like diabetic Jam way back when and was the manufacturer Stutt?

Tony

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I disagree as my parents had to buy the needles but got the glass syringes on prescription .....I don't wish this to sound rude and I will check with them and let you know...it may well be my memory that's skewed....
That's ok, it's easy for a childhood memory to be skewed (I was a good bit older than 6 when I was diagnosed.)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
That's ok, it's easy for a childhood memory to be skewed (I was a good bit older than 6 when I was diagnosed.)
You must be laughing at the conversation between me and conniecar and think we are a pair of old trumpers yet neither one of us is fifty!!!
I can only remember ever being a diabetic but I don't recall diabetes ruining my childhood.

All the best
Tony

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You must be laughing at the conversation between me and conniecar and think we are a pair of old trumpers yet neither one of us is fifty!!!
I can only remember ever being a diabetic but I don't recall diabetes ruining my childhood.

All the best
Tony
Not at all! It brought back memories of my first Christmas as a diabetic and my mother didn't want me to feel left out. She used sorbitol to ice the cake she made for me. Everyone else had normal trifle but I had jelly sweetened with sorbitol. Oh my poor tummy! I can laugh about it now but Christmas evening was awful, mostly spent in the toilet!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not at all! It brought back memories of my first Christmas as a diabetic and my mother didn't want me to feel left out. She used sorbitol to ice the cake she made for me. Everyone else had normal trifle but I had jelly sweetened with sorbitol. Oh my poor tummy! I can laugh about it now but Christmas evening was awful, mostly spent in the toilet!

These memories are priceless! Stute Jam! My mum experimented with vanilla pod buns too, again they didn’t go down a storm at school. We all had school dinners so after my diagnosis I came back to school to be told that I couldn’t sit with my friends anymore as I had a packed lunch, therefore I was sat by the canteen staff on my own who ‘monitored’ me.....That was until I casually mentioned it at home and I remember Mum marching to school with me to speak to the headmaster. The day after I was allowed to eat my two thirds of a slice of bread, Bovril and an apple with my best friend, even though she might have caught diabetes off me.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
These memories are priceless! Stute Jam! My mum experimented with vanilla pod buns too, again they didn’t go down a storm at school. We all had school dinners so after my diagnosis I came back to school to be told that I couldn’t sit with my friends anymore as I had a packed lunch, therefore I was sat by the canteen staff on my own who ‘monitored’ me.....That was until I casually mentioned it at home and I remember Mum marching to school with me to speak to the headmaster. The day after I was allowed to eat my two thirds of a slice of bread, Bovril and an apple with my best friend, even though she might have caught diabetes off me.

Yes school was an odd one......
I had packed lunches anyway so that was the same...
I had a special tin with morning coffee biscuits in it for if I felt a bit 'funny'

Reactions: conniecar

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes school was an odd one......
I had packed lunches anyway so that was the same...
I had a special tin with morning coffee biscuits in it for if I felt a bit 'funny'

Yes we had either Morning Coffee or Marie biscuits When I had swimming lessons with school I was allowed to call at the shop with my friend on the way and buy 2 sugar shrimps and some for my friend, again for if I felt funny and for before I got in the pool. The shop owner rang my Mum and said I was buying contraband and should she refuse to serve me

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Digestives and tea biscuits were the only biscuits I had for years. Thank goodness they now put carb values on the packs!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Digestives and tea biscuits were the only biscuits I had for years. Thank goodness they now put carb values on the packs!

I know. I still remember 2/3 slice of bread is 10gms and 7fl oz of milk is too x

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I know. I still remember 2/3 slice of bread is 10gms and 7fl oz of milk is too x
By jove yes the "line" diet.
10g carbs for 1 line.
I was to have 4 lines at lunchtime and teatime!
I can't remember breakfast............

Tony

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By jove yes the "line" diet.
10g carbs for 1 line.
I was to have 4 lines at lunchtime and teatime!
I can't remember breakfast............

Tony
That was my "exchange" diet. 4 exchanges for each meal, one mid morning, one mid afternoon and 3 before bed, plus another one spread over the whole day for milk in tea/coffee.