Sugar Free Biscuits?

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
I found some sugar free biscuits in Home Bargains! They are lovely (digestives and shortbread which taste like rich tea) and I do miss a couple of biccies with a cup of tea in the afternoon....especially when the rest of the family is tucking in!
But, they have about the same amount of carbs as regular biscuits.........so is it worth buying the sugar free? GP/diabetes nurse say not to cut out anything, just watch what you eat - not very helpful!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If the carbs are above 10%, then they are not low carb, the flour used, turns to sugar quickly and should be avoided.

But! If you have one, no-one will notice!!!!

Read the carbohydrate information and all of it turns into glucose in your blood.

Avoid all diabetic foods and no added sugar foods, they still have too many carbs and sugars in!

It is hard to get your head around, you will do though.

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Lol...I think the excitement of sugar free and biscuit in the same packet got to me and I didn't read the carbs info on the back!
So, now I've got them, are they slightly better than regular biscuits or does it not make any difference?
Carbs are 4.5g per biscuit vs 6.9g in the rich tea I usually buy. Two occasionally as part of a low carb diet surely can't be too bad!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lol...I think the excitement of sugar free and biscuit in the same packet got to me and I didn't read the carbs info on the back!
So, now I've got them, are they slightly better than regular biscuits or does it not make any difference?
Carbs are 4.5g per biscuit vs 6.9g in the rich tea I usually buy. Two occasionally as part of a low carb diet surely can't be too bad!
It doesn't make any difference! Too many carbs!

Carbs are baddies! Anything made of wheat flour or even most grain flour is not good!

One in between meals won't do much harm, but, can you only eat one?

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
Thanks for replying....yes, I can only eat one, I haven't really got a sweet tooth, just occasionally fancy a biscuit with a cup of tea...nothing else really compares!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I used to love a bourbon cream or two (ish) with my black tea. Alas no more!

Did you know that milk contains a form of sugar called lactose? This can raise your blood glucose levels, even though you have no carbs or sugar. So instead of milk, have cream or nothing with it.

pinkiepunksmummy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter!
I have a dash of skimmed milk, or just black...I can't stomach weak milky tea, so cream would be disgusting (for me ;) ) but I quite like in cream in coffee!

Reactions: 2 people