Sugar free diet for t2??

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I ordered a book all about giving up sugar completely, well for 8 weeks really. I think it's similar to Davina mcall's book but It just seems very extreme and I'm not sure if it's good for you.

Just wondered if anyone had tried it?

Thanks x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Marvelchick79 I remember reading an extract from Davina's sugar free book and it seemed to contain ingredients such as maple syrup, agave nectar and honey. That is fine for avoiding white refined sugar, but not great for diabetes control in my opinion. What is your goal?

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Marvelchick79 I remember reading an extract from Davina's sugar free book and it seemed to contain ingredients such as maple syrup, agave nectar and honey. That is fine for avoiding white refined sugar, but not great for diabetes control in my opinion. What is your goal?

I would like to control my blood sugar levels but I also have hereditary heart disease so the lchf option seems good for one thing and not the other. Although I would like to loose weight im just hoping that will follow along.
You are right there are honey's and syrups in the diet

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Have a look around and see what other people here are eating. There are a few here who have/have had heart problems (sorry I don't know much about it, but somebody will)

I wouldn't recommend honey and syrups as they are as high in carbs as sugar. Do you have a meter?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Marvelchick79 Also, if you are worried that LCHF means lots of saturated fats, it needn't be. I get fats from nuts, seeds, plant oils, olives and avocados.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to control my blood sugar levels but I also have hereditary heart disease so the lchf option seems good for one thing and not the other. Although I would like to loose weight im just hoping that will follow along.
You are right there are honey's and syrups in the diet

I would add that we suggest limiting all carbohydrates and not just "sugars" as all carbs are metabolised into sugars of one kind or another in the body. As to whether a higher fat intake is good or bad for heart health the jury is slowly swinging towards fat is not so bad as previously thought so maybe the LCHF diet could be useful for you after all.
Have a read around there is a goldmine of info on the threads and ask if you have any questions..we'll try and help.

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have a look around and see what other people here are eating. There are a few here who have/have had heart problems (sorry I don't know much about it, but somebody will)

I wouldn't recommend honey and syrups as they are as high in carbs as sugar. Do you have a meter?

I do have a meter, yet my new d nurse has told me not to use it, not sure why. I'm back there today

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do have a meter, yet my new d nurse has told me not to use it, not sure why. I'm back there today
From the horse's mouth, or the NHS as we call it :
"Some people were advised to carry out selfmonitoring of blood glucose in the past because it was assumed that it would lead to better control.Since NICE reviewed the evidence and issued guidelines, it is more widely recognised that blood testing does not always lead to better control of blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes."
" Studies have shown that patients who do not use insulin but do blood glucose testing, may have greater distress and worry, without any improvement in overall control."
www.nhsaaa.net/media/262620/bgmtest.pdf

So the prevailing NHS wisdom is that T2s are at great danger of turning into emotional snowflakes. This may be true of some, but I doubt it is of those who are pro-active enough to visit and use this forum. If you spend long enough on this forum, anyone can see how some diabetics seem to take no responsibility for controlling their blood sugars (often described by members who aren't diabetics but partners or family.)
This forum promotes taking responsibility.
Knowing how YOUR body responds to different foods is priceless, and an occasional HbA1c won't tell you that.

Drs/nurses think they're helping you, saying not to test. They're not.

Geoff

Reactions: Marvelchick79

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Marvelchick79 hopefully the book will increase your knowledge. If you avoid rice, pasta, potatoes, standard bread, cereals, pizza, cakes, biscuits, sweets, fruit juice, fruit such as banannas and pineaple, milk chocolate, ready meals and basically junk food, this should cover alot of the obvious sugars. By standard I mean shop bought, so for example home made almond flour based biscuits and similar can be healthier treats and home made cereal such as nuts and berries are good options.

The above list seems quite restrictive, however no one would realistically claim that a healthy eating would consist of chips, biscuits, sweets, cakes, cola etc. The staples such as rice and pasta and potatoes, we tend to over eat, and unfortunately they carry a significant carb hit, when prepared in the standard way (it is possible to pre-cook rice and pasta, place in the fridge for at least 12 hours, reheat to reduce the carb spike by up to 50% (mixing with coconut oil reduces spikes further)); I still don't eat this, but my family allow me to do this for them.

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
From the horse's mouth, or the NHS as we call it :
"Some people were advised to carry out selfmonitoring of blood glucose in the past because it was assumed that it would lead to better control.Since NICE reviewed the evidence and issued guidelines, it is more widely recognised that blood testing does not always lead to better control of blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes."
" Studies have shown that patients who do not use insulin but do blood glucose testing, may have greater distress and worry, without any improvement in overall control."
www.nhsaaa.net/media/262620/bgmtest.pdf

So the prevailing NHS wisdom is that T2s are at great danger of turning into emotional snowflakes. This may be true of some, but I doubt it is of those who are pro-active enough to visit and use this forum. If you spend long enough on this forum, anyone can see how some diabetics seem to take no responsibility for controlling their blood sugars (often described by members who aren't diabetics but partners or family.)
This forum promotes taking responsibility.
Knowing how YOUR body responds to different foods is priceless, and an occasional HbA1c won't tell you that.

Drs/nurses think they're helping you, saying not to test. They're not.

Geoff

Thank you for this, it makes sense now. I still have my meter so will start testing again.

Reactions: Mongolia

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Marvelchick79 hopefully the book will increase your knowledge. If you avoid rice, pasta, potatoes, standard bread, cereals, pizza, cakes, biscuits, sweets, fruit juice, fruit such as banannas and pineaple, milk chocolate, ready meals and basically junk food, this should cover alot of the obvious sugars. By standard I mean shop bought, so for example home made almond flour based biscuits and similar can be healthier treats and home made cereal such as nuts and berries are good options.

The above list seems quite restrictive, however no one would realistically claim that a healthy eating would consist of chips, biscuits, sweets, cakes, cola etc. The staples such as rice and pasta and potatoes, we tend to over eat, and unfortunately they carry a significant carb hit, when prepared in the standard way (it is possible to pre-cook rice and pasta, place in the fridge for at least 12 hours, reheat to reduce the carb spike by up to 50% (mixing with coconut oil reduces spikes further)); I still don't eat this, but my family allow me to do this for them.

I won't lie, I have hidden away from this for so long, I've always had a sweet tooth and growing up there was a lot of processed foods and my grandma used to bake but it was jam tarts, apple pies etc so I never really had an education till I did food tech at school and then I didn't take it seriously as I was so active.
This is definitely a re education! I'm on day 3 of just cutting out chocolate, sweets and fuzzy drinks and I'm craving and have a really bad head which I know can be related.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I won't lie, I have hidden away from this for so long, I've always had a sweet tooth and growing up there was a lot of processed foods and my grandma used to bake but it was jam tarts, apple pies etc so I never really had an education till I did food tech at school and then I didn't take it seriously as I was so active.
This is definitely a re education! I'm on day 3 of just cutting out chocolate, sweets and fuzzy drinks and I'm craving and have a really bad head which I know can be related.
Are you still as active?
I'm unable to exercise like I used to. Walking a few meters is my limit due to heart and mobility problems.
Has your mobility changed?
If not, get out there and walk/exercise your diabetes into remission!
Carbs and too much protein affect my bgs. I'm definitely interested in how your food is affecting you!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are getting headaches and cravings, they can be miserable.

The headaches are helped by drinking more. Lots more. :)

And I personally find that cravings disappear with food. Good hearty portions including enough fat. Coffee with a dash of cream. Some cheese. A handful of nuts. A low carb mug cake (google for recipe :) )

Don't worry about fat content or weight loss/gain at this point. For the first few days, getting over the carb cravings is a priority. You can cut back on them again when the cravings have passed.

Marvelchick79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you still as active?
I'm unable to exercise like I used to. Walking a few meters is my limit due to heart and mobility problems.
Has your mobility changed?
If not, get out there and walk/exercise your diabetes into remission!
Carbs and too much protein affect my bgs. I'm definitely interested in how your food is affecting you!

I am mobile, though not as I used to be. I have been having so much pain over the last few months with my endometriosis I nearly became bed ridden at one stage. I would like to try swimming a bit more.
As for food I havent really thought about the affect carbs and protein have on me and I've not been monitoring bg but on it now