Sugar in tea and coffee

Vintage biker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi recently diagnosed, have had 3 spoonful's of sugar in tea and coffee as long as I can remember ,tried stopping, but it tastes like poison, have tried all sorts of sweeteners, but no good, what can I do?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stop using sugar. Seriously. That's 15 grams of carbs minimum - more than a slice of bread or bag of crisps. It's hard I know but a sweetener is much better.

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

coley83

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politicians
Hi yes it tastes horrible so why not cut it down by 1 spoon a wek , that,s how I cut it out 12 years ago best of luck

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut out sugar in coffee some years ago by first cutting the amount of sugar in half, then half of the half, then nothing. It took a couple of weeks per step. Now I wouldn't dream of contaminating my coffee with sugar or sweeteners!

Reactions: 2 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Initially artificial sweeteners taste bitter, but stick to one brand and within a few days you will get used to it

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that when you first stop having sugar tea and coffee taste like poison. I tried cutting down but it didn't work, so I just drank the poison for a while. After a month the sugary drink was the horrid tasting one and I found that I no longer needed to eat such sweet foods either. For me, it was well worth the effort.

Reactions: 6 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It tastes horrible to start with but you will soon get used to it. I don't have sugar in tea but have cut out all sugar in my homemade cakes/ biscuits/etc. I was using sweetener but after finding out it was poisonous to dogs I stopped using it altogether. My tastes have changed so much over the past few months.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with everyone else. I changed from sugar to sweeteners about 30 years ago. They were very bitter at first but I soon got used to it. Now a tea with even a small amount of sugar tastes vile to me. You just have to persevere. No-one said this diabetes lark is easy!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Cut down gradually, and you'll start to appreciate the taste of the tea and coffee rather than the sugar!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always hated sugar in tea - horrible! But always liked 1tsp in coffee. The only sweetener I can stand is xylitol - no bitter aftertaste like stevia, and no chemical tang like the others.

Reactions: 4 people

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all in your mind.. sugar in coffee/tea is not worth it at at all! you might want to save that for a bite of ice cream or brownie :) I am crazy food lover.. sorry if i am tempting you!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cut down your sugar by 1/2 spoonful for about 2 weeks then another 1/2 spoonful for 2 weeks that gives your taste buds time to get used to the taste A good tip given to me when I was trying to cut down was to work out how many drinks you would have in the day and put onto a saucer the amount of sugar that would be !
CAROL

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Believe me, I feel so much better when I manage to cut out all added sugars and reduce the carbs, and I keep holding onto that feeling whenever I get really tempted to have sugar in my coffee, or a sweet sticky bun etc.

Having always had sugar in coffee and tea I have found it very hard to stop but I've cut out tea altogether and reduced my sugarless coffee to a couple each day by the simple expedient of mostly drinking water. I'd recommend it - fills you up with zero calories, has other health benefits and tastes just the same now as it always used to :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l went cold turkey on sugar when diagnosed in Nov. lf you withdraw gradually you will always find an excuse to add a bit more.

Anyone who says you wont notice in a couple of weeks is politly putting it..lucky or lying.

By xmas l was on cream not milk in my coffee and still hating it but by accident had a drink of hubs coffee with sugar and almost threw up...so a no mans land...missed sugar in coffee had some wanted to throw.

Now in May finally settling down to cream no sugar but still at times want it.

l would say go for weaker coffee l have mellow birds, stronger coffee is very bitter.

Only fill to 3/4 of a mug not all the way.

Cream is much nicer but put that or milk in first before the water so you don't burn the coffee and it is then bitter.

Can help to not fully boil the water not sure why but soomehow the coffee is "thicker"

l am not a tea drinker tea bags make me ill l have pgtips leaves brewed in a china pot pot for 5 mins NOT stirred then poured through a strainer.
Since diagnosis not had tea l wanted to get coffee my main drink sorted first.

Teeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I don't know if you're Type 1 or Type 2 (although, I assume the later if you're old enough to drink coffee) but if you have insulin resistence, you should stop drinking coffee and tea altogether because caffeine impairs insulin action. Herbal tea doesn't contain caffeine, so those ones are okay. Try to find one that tastes good even without sugar/sweeteners. I drink chamomile tea most of the time. At first, all herbal tea tasted like grass to me but after a few days of drinking them I got used to it and I like their taste now. :)

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Yes. Xylotol every time. But NOT 3 tsps a shot as it gives you diariea. dia ear. Dire rear. Runny poo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people
A

AnnieC

I have never had sugar in tea never liked it but always had some in coffee just half a teaspoon but then I cut that out I don't really like coffee without sugar but when I tried it with sugar again I did not like that anymore.....how weird is that... so I could not win as I don't like sweetners either,.after a couple of months I am still trying to get used to the taste of coffee without sugar so I now drink mostly tea

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i gave up 2 sugars in my tea a few years ago before diabetes, it took months to get used to it but if i accidentally sip the wrong cup of tea at work with sugar in it, it basically tastes like hot sugar water, its nasty, id say go cold turkey, maybe dont drink it at all for a fortnight to unaquaint yourself with the taste, the benefit is, once youve kicked the sugar habit you can actually taste the tea, its so much nicer

another vote here for green tea but you have to experiment on flavours, my favourites are lemon or cranberry green tea, without the flavours it tastes a bit like dish water to me but i love it and drink 10 cups a day at work