Sugar level still rising after two hours

winglets

I am getting my H1aBc test done soon but I'm not diabetic as far as I'm aware and hoping this obviously doesn't change. Anyway, I have been testing myself using a glucometer just out of interest for the last week and my levels are all well within the normal levels - waking levels (4-5.2), post meal (5-7), random times (3.6 - 5).
That is until tonight. Stupidly I had an extremely high carb meal, salmon teriyaki with white rice (500g). Extremely rich, salty sauce which actually made me feel a little sickly after as I didn't wash it down with anything either and I didn't consume anything after, just a couple of glasses of water about an hour after. It was a whopping 125g of carbs. So I tested myself after 2 hours and my level was 7.5/7.7 but then three hours later, 9.2/10! 5 hours later, still not recovered at 6.5. It will go down but I feel I should be reacting quicker even after an extremely high carb meal. Most of my 2 hour post meal scores have been in the 5s with one 7. I'm hoping this is a one off because I consumed such a huge portion of carbs but I'm worried nonetheless. I feel a non diabetic should have processed this quicker.

Do you find with an extremely high carb man, the spikes can be delayed because of the carbs that's being processed?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are a lot of factors that could account for a later spike. Fat content in the fish, for example, or whatever was in the sauce. I wouldn't worry *too* much about the numbers, as I believe many 'non-diabetics' could have a similar reaction, especially if your numbers were down to, say, 7 after 2 hours. That said, I think that sort of carby food isn't doing you any favours, and if you are perhaps near the borderline of some sort of pre-diabetes or insulin resistance, then testing your blood and keeping clear of high sugar levels might be a great way to avoid the problem before it starts.

Reactions: winglets

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting my H1aBc test done soon but I'm not diabetic as far as I'm aware and hoping this obviously doesn't change. Anyway, I have been testing myself using a glucometer just out of interest for the last week and my levels are all well within the normal levels - waking levels (4-5.2), post meal (5-7), random times (3.6 - 5).
That is until tonight. Stupidly I had an extremely high carb meal, salmon teriyaki with white rice (500g). Extremely rich, salty sauce which actually made me feel a little sickly after as I didn't wash it down with anything either and I didn't consume anything after, just a couple of glasses of water about an hour after. It was a whopping 125g of carbs. So I tested myself after 2 hours and my level was 7.5/7.7 but then three hours later, 9.2/10! 5 hours later, still not recovered at 6.5. It will go down but I feel I should be reacting quicker even after an extremely high carb meal. Most of my 2 hour post meal scores have been in the 5s with one 7. I'm hoping this is a one off because I consumed such a huge portion of carbs but I'm worried nonetheless. I feel a non diabetic should have processed this quicker.

Do you find with an extremely high carb man, the spikes can be delayed because of the carbs that's being processed?
Looks perfectly normal to me.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
The old < 7.8 @ 2 hour adage comes from the 75g OGTT, where you knock back a drink of pure glucose with zero fat/protein element.
Real world eating is far more varied & complex, you eat a large meal it doesn't all hit your bloodstream at once, instead it pulses through your gut with varying quantities of carbs/fats/protein being broken down.

It's good you're keeping an eye on it though, perhaps rice is not a great food choice for you, you now posses that knowledge.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with previous posters- don't panic -wait til you get the results. It's likely that you are still not diabetic and being vigilant means you are less likely to become diabetic.