Swedish low carb study - 44 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert

viviennem said:
You still haven't told us what you eat, Albert. Being overweight and limited in what exercise I can do, I'm interested. How about posting a typical day's menus?

Please?

Viv 8)

viviennem
For some reason everybody seems to want to know what I eat? I will dig out one of my record books and post the details soon. Bit busy at the moment unfortunately. Seems some people still seem to think my name is Ken? My real name is Alan Bertram, hence the Al-bert! :D I am a friend of Ken's but he has moved away but I am now trying to find my own way on the forum, without his help. It never ceases to amaze me why some people seem to want to take a 'pop' at Ken when he is no longer here. I have had some nasty messages myself, what a sad bunch they must be? :( :roll: I have explained this to the administrator here and he is satisfied with that explanation.

Anyway, will post as soon as I am able. :)

fallenstar.
What a great informative post! :D

Albert

viviennem
Some figures.

Breakfast
Poached Egg..........5g fat, Nil carbs, 73cals
1 rasher dry fried lean back bacon.......5g fat, 0.5g carbs, 76 cals
Water

Lunch
1 plum.............0g fat, 4.3g carbs, 32 cals
1/2 can pineapple slices..........0g fat, 7g carbs, 28cals
Water

Evening meal
Red salmon.........8.2g fat, 0.1g carbs, 156cals
Lettuce.........0.3g fat, 1.8g carbs, 13 cals
Cucumber.....0.1g fat, 1.5g carbs, 10cals
Beetroot.......0g fat, 3.5g cartbs, 19cals
Cherry toms.......0.3g fat, 3.1g carbs, 18cals
Water.

The above is just a typical days meal. It does vary when I add cooked ham or other fish etc. I sometimes have a steak in the evenijng which can boost fat/carbs/calories but as you can see is very low everything. Some people apparently think I MUST have loads of protein or I drink a lot or something. Otherwise I will die, be sat on a chair all day. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I have never been a big eater and have always had loads of energy whilst eating very little food, as others have said, everybody is different. Some people just don't seem to be able to grasp that concept! I have a disability which affects my activity levels but I am able to do all the things I want and am out and about every day. I don't drink, don't smoke and don't sit in front of the tv or pc all day. I am sure somebody will try to rubbish what I do and how I do it. Sad really. why can't they just accept it works well for me? I also take a multivitamin daily and have regular check ups to see I remain healthy. My HCP remains very happy with my progress.

Sorry for the delay, just been too busy today.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Albert,
Thanks for posting your sample daily diet. I LOVE salmon :twisted:
On your other point, when I was working down in the deep south, I had a friend staying with for a week and I introduced him to" the gang" and he seemed to get on with all but one lad who kept muttering that his name was "John" We finally realised what the problem was : my mate was from near dundee and he kept suffixing everything with "... KEN" When I explained that he wasn't calling everyone Ken we all had a good laugh!.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Albert, I'm glad that your HCP is pleased with your progress but perhaps you should also show them your daily diet . I'm not a dietitian but I really do think that it is both extremely low in calories (no, I don't know where your energy comes from) but crucially is also very low in almost all important nutrients :for example the calcium intake is about a quarter of recommendations and the iron less than half.
This US website enables you to put in your daily intake and assess your diet.
(you need to use oz.. 100g is about 3.5oz)
http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/default.htm

Albert

Thank you for your concern phoenix. However, you should know that what I have posted is not what I eat every day, just one out of 365 days. Some days I eat more than that listed. I have consulted a dietician and my overall diet is sound. I am not deficient in any of the vital elements of nutrition as you suggest. If I was you would see me doing something about that.

I was asked what I ate, I am not suggestng that anybody could eat the same as me and have the same results. There was a program on the tv recently where a man was able to survive underwater for over 15 mins without any breathing aids. He has confounded the experts with his feats, they all think he would have suferred brain damage and should be dead but apparently he is alive and well! Amazing stuff, don't you think.

pianoman

Well I am confused by your earlier description of this as "...a typical days meal" but more importantly I am relieved because you now seem to acknowledge that (much like free divers) your experience is extraordinary, and it is not something you are suggesting "...that anybody could eat ...and have the same results.". If you had been suggesting such a thing, it would probably be necessary to caution along the same lines as the caution added by the moderators to the Optifast shake 600 calorie (8 week) diets...
For the benefit of anyone who would like to follow this diet, we wish to add that Diabetes UK, who funded the study, have advised against going on the diet without medical supervision:

Diabetes UK strongly recommends that such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... 2-diabetes

Benedict

Albert

pianoman said:
Well I am confused by your earlier description of this as "...a typical days meal" but more importantly I am relieved because you now seem to acknowledge that (much like free divers) your experience is extraordinary, and it is not something you are suggesting "...that anybody could eat ...and have the same results.". If you had been suggesting such a thing, it would probably be necessary to caution along the same lines as the caution added by the moderators to the Optifast shake 600 calorie (8 week) diets...
For the benefit of anyone who would like to follow this diet, we wish to add that Diabetes UK, who funded the study, have advised against going on the diet without medical supervision:

Diabetes UK strongly recommends that such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... 2-diabetes

Benedict

Pianoman
Firstly I have never told anybody what they should do. It is what I do, nothing more. I am sorry if you are confused, however you do seem to take everything quite literally and have an inordinate interest in what others do. Anyway, if the moderators are sufficiently qualified to review a diet which they have not seen or even have the remotest idea about then I am sure in due course they can add a rider or disclaimer to anything I post. Perhaps they can also add the same sort of thing to your posts. :roll:

Fallenstar

Do you know what Alan not only has that horse been truly flogged to death...but I think it's turned to glue :lol: :lol:

My Dads like you ,just not a big eater,never has been but boy has he got energy 78 and still traveling around Europe in his Camper Van as we speak, and great cholesterol and BP. It's just the way some people are...why the drastic concern if you are happy and are not advocating it to anyone else...bet you are really touched :wink: But he eats little but mainly carbs...is that bad :shock:

Same with the two Dudes I posted about the 100 yr old Marathon runner and he has run into his octogenarian years daily (10 miles) on probably less that what you eat, he looks amazing on it to me. And if you feel good and are healthy on what you eat then who is anyone to judge..like you have said it is your choice and it does for you..maybe not anyone else, but who are you telling to eat your diet...can't recall anyone :D

Albert

Hi fallenstar.

I know, some people seem to have too much time on their hands! I have been sent a link to a site where some have questioned how I can survive on 425cals per day? As I have never said that is what I do I wonder what planet they are on? I posted just one days meals out of 365 days, often I eat around a 1000 calories a day, sometimes a bit more, but all within the limit low carbs and fat that I set myself. It's quite easy to do really if you read the labels carefully and keep the portion sizes down. I have a steady weight loss and no problems. Apparently according to these people I'm supposed to be drinking and be skeletal :lol: I wish! It's quite amusing to see what has been said. It just goes to show you should never assume things and always be very careful of what you read on the internet. I think there are too many so called self appointed experts around for my liking, always trying to tell people what they should be doing, even when what they are doing is obviously working for them. I still think they think I am Ken. Ken is fit, healthy and very active, unlike me! :lol:

I trust the judgement of my HCP's who are fully conversant with my medical history and other conditions. Something people here will never know about unless I choose to divulge them! :|

pianoman

When my son was young his Momma would sometimes fret on the days when he didn't eat much. But invariably the next day he would eat twice as much. My point being that occasional days where we eat less than we "burn" are not the issue, so much as the overall energy balance over days, weeks and months. If our energy stores are replete we can go days or weeks without eating but if we keep that up indefinitely without ever replenishing those stores we will (most of us anyway) waste away. And that is only taking energy/calories into consideration... obviously (as Phoenix pointed out earlier) energy is not our only nutritional requirement.

Albert if you wish to avoid misunderstandings perhaps you could be clearer in your choice of words. Viv asked for a "typical day's menus". You responded with a very detailed breakdown which you described as...
Albert said:
...The above is just a typical days meal. It does vary when I add cooked ham or other fish etc. I sometimes have a steak in the evenijng which can boost fat/carbs/calories but as you can see is very low everything. ...
Unless you meant "typical" as in "it was a Tuesday like any other" or something like that, then surely you can see how it might easily have been interpreted as representative of the way you generally eat. Usually when a misunderstanding has occurred I don't immediately assume the other party is at fault but I try to stop and consider my own part in the conversation.

Deekh1965

Hi
Hope I'm not interfering here but I totally get where pianoman is coming from, 4 cals per gram for catbs and proteins and 9 cals per gram for fat. For Albert hat equates to 240 cals for carbs and 270 cals for fat - total = 510 cals. If you read below you may understand pianomans confusion.

I agree what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other and what Albert eats is entirely his business.

I downloaded a metabolic rate calculator from truthaboutabs.com, although there is an online one at http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/.

On the downloaded one it states "As a general rule, in order to maintain a healthy metabolism, it is not advised for women to ever take their daily caloric intake below 1200 calories/day, while men should never go below approximately 1600 calories/day."

Hope someone can make use of the BMR calculator.

Derek

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Please can we all stick to the topic and be respectful of each other.

Albert

Why have my perfectly innocent posts criticising some lunatics elsewhere on the net been removed from here when cartoons and other stuff directed at me are allowed to remain. There is obviously some favouritism being showed here!

Ken warned me before he left about the sad state of affairs on this forum. Discrimination is being shown here by the mods and or admin. It's disgraceful.

Everybody else seem s to be allowed to post what they like, especially if you use a high fat method. so much for it being a forum for all diabetics! The place is a joke! If you don't low carb high fat you are not wanted here!

Message received and understood! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.