Sweet tasting fingers!

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may sound really odd but..... In the last few days I have noticed that my fingers have a really sweet taste to them when I lick them. Kinda like icing sugar. Has anyone else come across this? I'm a bit freaked out by this as I googled it and it mentions it could be something to do with high ketones although my blood sugars have been brilliant lately

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
brilliant BG is what it's all about...if it is a ketone, it's not the lack of insulin dka type ketone, perhaps a nutritional ketone?
or an altered taste sensation?
A change in diet perhaps LC?
aphid infestation, wash your hands Now and again...:)
as a T1 don't you have blood ketone strips or urine ketone strips?

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started to low-carb but only down to about 100g a day so didn't think I would be in ketosis. However, just did a ketone test to check and it's come back as LO so below 0.1 so it's not that.

Am sure it's not my soap as it's like it all day and am pretty sure it's not an aphid infestation as in not a plant lol :) think I'm just a freak of nature by the looks of it

Reactions: 2 people

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Craighunter86 you were right! I am a complete numpty!

I have bad hay fever at the moment and grabbed a tissue from my handbag. Breathed in to blow my nose and inhaled a lovely sweet vapour. Problem solved. All I've got to do now is clean out my bag lol

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL, this is GOLD
I wonder how many people ask their Dr about their sweet fingers?
so it wasn't an aphid infestation it was a bag infestation of sweetners, the little buggers were breeding:wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people