GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi all
I haven't ventured into the world of replacement sweeteners since starting LCHF. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and didn't want to encourage one. However I think maybe it's time to have a go at some sweeter stuff like fat bombs or that bulletproof hot chocolate that Trinity posted earlier.

So what's the deal with sweeteners? Sweetex, Stevia, Splenda? Are they all the same thing? Do they affect blood sugar?

Please educate me.

Cheers

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a check through the forums, there's been several fairly recent discussions on this. The ones I use are stevia and erythritol, as these are the ones generally recommend for diabetics - they both are virtually carb free and low calorie as well. Some sweeteners include bulking agents so watch out for these as they will usually be full of carbohydrates.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
They are each slightly different but I am relaxed about using any of them. Aspartame has caused issues for a few people but that does not mean it is "poison" for the rest of us. It has been studied to within an inch of its life and found to be safe at the recommended levels. Don't believe the hype that says it is of the devil, lol.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I haven't ventured into the world of replacement sweeteners since starting LCHF. I don't have much of a sweet tooth and didn't want to encourage one. However I think maybe it's time to have a go at some sweeter stuff like fat bombs or that bulletproof hot chocolate that Trinity posted earlier.

So what's the deal with sweeteners? Sweetex, Stevia, Splenda? Are they all the same thing? Do they affect blood sugar?

Please educate me.

Cheers

Mmm, this is a tricky one ultimately down to your personal palate preference and opinion.

I use splenda in tablet form and I drink aspartame because I drink diet coke. Neither of these two things I do in excess.

I have splenda with my coffee, yogurt and chia seeds and I drink diet coke regularly, but I'm happy with just water as well. Never had problems losing weight or sweet cravings or anything like that while consuming them. I don't have a sweet tooth though.

There are different schools of thought around it, which one is bad which one is good and why, lots of heated arguments... As I don't over do them (in sweet treats and stuff) I don't worry about them.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to avoid aspartame as it gives me a dodgy stomach, otherwise I use Splenda or truvia baking blend.

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stevia is a plant and thus supposed to be all-natural and harmless but for me its taste is just unacceptable. I tried different brands and different forms but I can't use it - the bitter aftertaste is overpowering. By the way powdered forms sometimes contain as little as a few percent of stevia - the rest is maltodextrin, which is a carb.
Xylitol and erythritol can affect your blood sugars - either that or they may not be digested and give you bloating. I find I have an adverse reaction to them.
That leaves artificial sweeteners like sucralose (splenda), aspartame, sodium cyclamate and saccharin sodium. I don't like the taste of aspartame and it is not stable in high temperatures so can't be used for cooking. Splenda is not easily available where I live that's why I mostly use sodium cyclamate and saccharin sodium blend in tablet form - if I need to add it to non-liquid foods I just put the tablets on the counter and crush them with the end of the spoon. I use it also when I cook.
I realize the artificial sweeteners are not healthy but for me it is the lesser evil.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can't have any of them!! Still trying to find alternatives or adjusting recipes to suit taste buds without sweeteners..

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband says that I had mood swings when drinking Diet Pepsi/Coke and having Canderel. I don't have sweeteners or diet sodas because I hate the aftertaste.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Have tried xylitol in the last few days. Looks like sugar, acts like sugar, tastes like sugar. No blood spikes or adverse effects so far. Have only used a very small amount but the sweetness is good. Bought from Holland and Barrett. £2.79 so worth a try.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Blimey - wonder whats so different to their anatomy and ours!!
Lots of substances are ok for one species and not others, eg cats and dogs can't have paracetamol, guinea pigs can't have amoxicillin.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife made a baked cheesecake using Xylitol. She used about half the normal sugar amount, and it tasted great.

Reactions: 2 people

CurvyPixel

I use Lidl's own tablets and powdered sweetener. Neither affect my BS. The tablets I find less sweet than sugar, I have 3 in a coffee, and the powdered I use for baking and often only use half the amount vs sugar. They taste fine to me - I don't like saccharine - yuk! - and always used Canderel before changing to Lild's own. I can't tell the difference between the two.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My intolerance isn't due to taste or affect on bg levels etc its the effect of pain it gives in my body... Only now having eliminated artificial numbers ie E numbers totally, artificial sweeteners and preservatives that I have eliminated pain that I had for 20 years that must have built up in my body since my diagnosis of T1 30+ years ago.

Personally now I can avoid pain from eliminating non natural substances.. Its ust constantly checking every label on even basic foods. When I also have SCT it gets a bit wearisome sometimes...But its just a case of reminding myself that at least it keeps me painfree and my stomach working...