Symptoms similar to diabetes from a non-insulin cause?

Elamber

Is it possible to have a good HbA1c test result and also reasonable finger pinprick test results, yet to have symptoms typical of diabetes?

Perhaps there are things further along the metabolic pathway (subsequent to the action of insulin) which can go wrong in themselves.

I would be interested in reciving any signposting to the sort of subjects related to this that I could look into.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible to have a good HbA1c test result and also reasonable finger pinprick test results, yet to have symptoms typical of diabetes?
Symptoms of diabetes (peeing, thirst, tired, blurry vision, thrush) are all caused by high blood glucose, not by diabetes as such.
Once numbers are in the normal or close to normal range, symptoms tend to disappear.
So if you see normal numbers and a normal hba1c but still have symptoms, I'd think about other causes than diabetes for the symptoms.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For instance, I have a hypoglycaemic condition but the trigger is higher than normal blood glucose levels, which trigger the excess insulin. And the hypos. I am non diabetic. But I do get similar symptoms if I don't control my blood glucose levels. I was misdiagnosed with T2 in 2009.

I think that will muddy the waters somewhat!