Symptoms

bonbonbon

Hi there

I hope I'm not being a silly hypochondriac but after a trip to the dentist I was recommended that I get tested for diabetes (I'm 28 years old, female, generally healthy, cycle daily, vegetarian diet). After reading up on a lot of the symptoms it sounds as though I should have slight reason for concern as I seem to experience a number of them.

- Strange metallic taste in mouth that doesn't go away (I've taken to brushing my teeth SO many times a day to remove it but nothing works)
- Thicker saliva than it used to be
- Very dry mouth that no amount of water seems to fix
- Feet fall asleep, go numb very often
- Frequently urinate (not so much at night) but it's constant for me in the day. Every hour I'll need to go
- UTI all the time (every time I'm intimate I'll get it the day after, even after being very careful & clean)
- Tiredness
- History of it on my father's side

I'm booking a test with my GP. The mouth symptoms have developed over the past couple of months.. I'm on no medication to cause it. I'm wondering if these symptoms all together can be confused for something else? When blood is tested generally (for standard blood tests) do they tend to pick this up?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The symptoms you describe can be associated with diabetes so I would book an appointment asap.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think your dentist was right to refer you for a diabetes check. You could have diabetes and/or another condition. Your doctor should consider other possible conditions at the same time.

I've had a lot of UTIs, which can be associated with undiagnosed diabetes. Whether you have diabetes or not, ask your doctor for advice about preventing and managing UTIs. No one should have to put up with them. One thing that made a difference for me was passing urine after 'being intimate', ie within 5-10 minutes, even when going to the loo is the last thing on your mind. This can flush out any bacteria that may have found their way inside. Also, use a lubricant (plain/hypo-allergenic), especially if you have dryness down there, as dryness can contribute to getting a UTI. If you do have diabetes, then treating it will often reduce the UTIs problem.

Grazer

I agree the symptoms could be diabetes, so do get a test asap. Other routine blood tests don't neccesarily pick up diabetes. If they test urine for an infection using a magic stick, they can also spot high sugar levels, if they recognise that they are indeed high.

bonbonbon

Thanks. I didn't want to come across as overreacting or anything and saw all these issues as very separate. Things like UTI's I've just 'put up with' getting them on the odd occasion but now it's happening all the time something clearly isn't right. It's such a frustrating thing that can really kill your mood, social, sex life.

Guess I'll see shortly... thank you for the info. Much appreciated.